Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something I didn't think I needed last weekend. A camera...why would I really need to carry one in my truck? Yeah okay, just a little spur of the moment wheeling adventure. I went target shooting with some friends last Sunday. After we were done I decided to go show this guy a place where I like to go cruise and relax. Nothing real exciting just a small mud pit that sits next to a creek, and a few little trails through the country side. Did I fail to mention that my friend drives a clean looking '95 Z71 w/33" MTs? He kept making bad comments about how his Chevy was so great and all. I consider myself a humble person. I didn't bother to give him anything else to dish out about his sugar baby Chevy... Anyway, we went out to the pit, and I let him know the layout, he didn't bother to listen. He knows all...so he goes through this one little sloppy section and comes to a standstill. Then decides to floor it some more. Needless to say, do you know how hard it is to find Chevy tow hooks under three inches of slime? Man I wish I had a camera with me. That would have been so nice to have a blackmail pic of my Dodge pulling out his Chevy. So, I get him out and he trys to go through it again. Ya know that was the first time I ever pulled out the same truck out of the same mudhole, twice within a ten minute period. The second time was enough for him. We went through some little trails, I took it easy on him (didn't feel like pulling him out anymore) I however slid sideways into an oak tree branch. I've never seen a branch shatter like it did when it hit the side of my truck. Oh well, it's just paint.

Still wish I had a camera though.

·
Registered
969 Posts
In the longrun everyone tows each other. I've towed chevy's and been towed by chevy's. If you wheel your truck alot its bound to happen.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
ya that figures about rambrdr, faver...hahhaj/k. ya chevys are a big time minority here but thats alright with me, everyone needs help at some point!

·
Registered
969 Posts
A Hummer?? Thats sweet dude, how did it happen?

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Well since were talkin about towing hummers...well i have one to. It was back about a year ago and it came a good snow here and my dad and myself were going to a farm we have out in BFE and its a one lane road. We were passing a hummer when he got to far over and in the ditch he went. He was high centered but he was still stuck. So being the nice guy i am, out came the tow rope and a good yank and out he came. To bad we didnt have a camera cause that would have been a sight to see...a dodge towing a hummer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have pulled so many people out of snowbanks the day after a big snow storm that I consider myself a pro at it. Helps being one of only three people in the family that owns a truck with 4wd. I always carry a camera for two reasons - good photo opps and for insurance purposes. I also carry my tow strap and a shovel. I love my shovel, its saved me almost as much as the strap. I once got to tow a ricer out of a field where my cousin was having a nearby graduation party. I gave him a really hard yank, just for the hell of it :): That'll learn him!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya know I should have learned after the first photo op. to bring a camera with me. I was driving down the highway about a year ago, passing one of the mud fields that now carries a hefty fine if your caught out there. Something about endangered fairy shrimp living in the bog. I figure if they've survived people wheeling out there for 30 years, they should survive now right? Anyway, there was an old Bronco out there and a police cruiser (Crown Vic) decided that he could go out there and ticket the guy. Nope, bad mistake, he buried the nose past the headlights and had to be towed out by a wrecker. Guess the Bronco didn't want to stick around to see what would happen.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, if you take enough chances with your truck, sooner or later you will get towed by something embarrassing. I've only been wheelin' once in my truck, and I got towed out of a mudhole by my brother-in-law's Cherokee. He didn't go in the mudhole of course, and I had 265/75 Laredo's, so its not THAT embarrassing. Luckily he had a locker in the rear, or he might not have been able to pull me out. I went back in the hole 2 more times and made it both times. I'll always carry a camera from now on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was about 18-19 and a friend and I were doing a little "night wheelin'" with my dads '71 Ford 1/2ton 2WD with a 390/4sp and posi.
We had been to this spot many times but as we were heading back to the road I let one rear tire slip off the trail on a slightly slimy hill. Backing up wasn't an option due to a tree that threatened to rip the canopy a new one... so we walked out to the highway and flagged down a mid 70's Ford with lots of lift and apporox. 42's on it.
His chest puffed out when he heard we needed his help. He backs into position on the hill I'm on, his fronts being almost at the crest of the hill. He goes to put tension on the strap.. I figure this will be easy... his revs pick up and....nothing happens. No tire slip... no hard tug.. the straps not even tight. WTF???
He is PISSED! I stay long enough to see he ain't going anywhere.
We walk to my buddy's house get a ride to my parents house planning on sneaking the cancer ridden Blazer with L78x15's and the Warn 8000. Oh, oh.. Dads up already.. We share the story and he says lets go get you guys out.
We pull up to the monster Ford and my dad gets out LAUGHING! (Dads not the most tactful guy) He says (in his Tn accent) "You are stuck in the road with THAT???"
Now Mr Ford's face is bright red... Dad says are you sure you're in 4wheel drive?
Oops! He wasn't all the way in on the transfer case... He gets it in and tranny is slipping BAD. He can't pull himself off the grade.
We throw the tow strap on him and drag him onto the flat.
Dads just shaking his head as the guy limps it out of the woods. (I did feel sorry for him after all he did TRY to help)
Dad pulled me out with the Blazer and was so amused thinking of the sight of his POS pulling out this big Ford he forgot to be mad at me for sticking his truck in the first place. :):
Knowing what I do now, it's obvious the guy forgot the gears to go with his tires. I never did see that truck around after that..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts