Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum. I have a 96 chevy 2500. Would a model 246 transfer case with a 272 ratio match with mine? The model of mine is 241c and a 272 ratio. I have 3/4 ton front end and 1/2 rear end. Because of this I'm sure you already concluded the case was cracked. I'm in search of gears for the rear end to match the front end. I am a new guy to this 4x4 world but I'm sponging in information. Thanks for the time.

G

·
the np246 is a electric shift auto trac case so no it won't fit as the 241 is manual shift

i take it your truck is the 7200 gvw 2500 with the 6 lug axles???

when looking for another 241 you need to take in account a few things, the input spline count 27 spline or 32 spline, the front output flange, and you want a 94 and newer case for the 3 wire switch, the older 241 used a 2 wire one and the 3 wire switch will not work in the older case as the cam to operate it internally is a different size.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what the GVW is on this truck but it does have the six lug axles in the front and 8 on the rear. I bought it as a mud toy and as far as i know it was a 1500 with a 350 vortech and they swapped the front diff and motor with a k2500 (454 BB and 3/4 ton front end). Thanks for that tip. You saved me some of the headache. This is my first 4x4 project so all the help I can get is appreciated.

G

·
GoDiegoGo said:
I'm not sure what the GVW is on this truck but it does have the six lug axles in the front and 8 on the rear. I bought it as a mud toy and as far as i know it was a 1500 with a 350 vortech and they swapped the front diff and motor with a k2500 (454 BB and 3/4 ton front end). Thanks for that tip. You saved me some of the headache. This is my first 4x4 project so all the help I can get is appreciated.
the 6 lug front is the 1/2 ton/7200gvw light duty 3/4 ton 8.25 ifs front, the rear must have been swapped as a 8600gvw 3/4 has 8 lug 9.25 ifs and the 6 lug and diff stuff will not swap to that frame.

chances are you need a 27 spline np241, the 700r4/4L60e had 27 spline, manual trans/th400/4L80e had 32 spline

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologize, when they did the swap they put the 1/2 front end in, not the 3/4 ton. I take it IFS is independent front suspension? I was told changing the gears would be a pain in the neck so now I'm thinking of just finding the 1/2 ton axle instead. I was also told the transmission was a Turbo 400...what numbers should I look for to verify what they told me?

G

·
the 1/2 ton front is the same axle as the 7200gvw light duty 3/4 ton so it was more a replacement instead of a swap, unless it was for a ratio change.
a th400 would not go into a 96 without a ton of work so i wonder what has really been done and a th400 has no overdrive so mileage would be terrible too.

if you could post some pictures it would go a long way in telling you what exactly you have

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't seem to post pics from my phone but I did find a blue tag on it that reads:
Turbo HydraMatic 5aRP
95 5157
On the casing itself it reads:
24203370-2
I have no intentions of putting this truck on pavement so OD is no problem. 1st gear only is find by me...I just don't want to snap another xfer case again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
outalne94z71 said:
the 1/2 ton front is the same axle as the 7200gvw light duty 3/4 ton so it was more a replacement instead of a swap, unless it was for a ratio change.
a th400 would not go into a 96 without a ton of work so i wonder what has really been done and a th400 has no overdrive so mileage would be terrible too.

if you could post some pictures it would go a long way in telling you what exactly you have
I finally dropped my xfer case out of the truck...not literally dropped thanks to the torsion bar mount...and counted splines. The spline count on the tailshaft is 32 spline. Also the rear driveshaft has 32 splines...if that says anything. I've found a 205 married which I'm hoping is the same 32 spline but waiting to find out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

hopefully this image may help some. Its the best i could get with the truck on the ground. This is the side of the tranny with the blue tag that reads as stated above

1 - 10 of 10 Posts