Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a new xfer case for my 400 turbo trans. The one i had in it and split completely in half was and it was a NP231c. I was told to look into getting a NP205 transfer case...well i found one and its a "divorced transfer case" and the feller told me i'd need a 2wd transmission to make it work...my question is, do they make a non-divorced transfer case and will it swap to a turbo 400. I'm hoping to find out as much as i can on the internet before i go yanking stuff out. :wall:

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
They make a married version of the 205 for behind a TH400, but I believe they are pretty hard to find as it a round pattern case. The more common version is " the "texas" pattern or "8" pattern. Keep in mind that the 205 has just under a 2:1 ratio, so if you need lower gearing, consider a NP241C

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ratio of the 241c is 272, which is the cracked case I have in there now. I take it that's supposed to be read as 2:72. I was thinking of using the 205 as I was told it was bulletproof, not so much because of the gearing. So will the lower gear have a positive or negative effect on the 3/4 rear end and 1/2 front end.

G

·
GoDiegoGo said:
The ratio of the 241c is 272, which is the cracked case I have in there now. I take it that's supposed to be read as 2:72. I was thinking of using the 205 as I was told it was bulletproof, not so much because of the gearing. So will the lower gear have a positive or negative effect on the 3/4 rear end and 1/2 front end.
What truck is this in?

G

·
GoDiegoGo said:
Its a 98 Chevy 1500 w/ 454 bb, and 400 Turbo trans
there was no th400 after 90, so was one swapped in? and if its a th400 then the adapter to mount a 205 is about $400 and in your case your truck has a driverside diff which makes it even harder as ford had the only 205 with driver drop and the mounting and spline count is totally different.

a 2wd trans with ford divorced 205 is the best option

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a blue tag on it that reads:

Turbo HydraMatic 5aRP
95 5157
24203370-2

I googled it and got many Turbo 400 results. It does have the driverside diff as well. What do you think about the 241c?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts