Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now… let me see if I can tell you what I do understand… see if I am right… (actually a right is what sucks the worst!!!)
For X-Over steering
Goto the junk yard and look for the following:
1. 2wd steering box
2. pitman arm from 2wd
3. steering bar from 2wd to go from left to right

I haven’t checked my knuckles but if it is a flat top it needs to be machined and what put on?

Now I get the jist but check this out…
NJ allows 12 degree pitch on steering…
Well with 14” leafs and a drop pitman arm of 6” ( which I dont think they make )… that leaves 8” swoop from the pitman arm to the steering knuckle… now a dana60 you can put a 4” block or fab a 6” block… that would leave 2” so no steering degree problem there…

Anyone know how to get that rod straighter with a dana44?
I dont have the $$$ for a d60 and probably wont for a while... I got a 81 Suzuki RM250 with $1200 into it if they wanna trade a d60 w/4.56's and x-over..... anyone???

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why do u want 2wd steering parts? (just curious)...

Everything I've heard on X-over steering (Jason would be a better source for this info I believe tho) is that you'll need the steering knuckles (from a junk yard or something) that had the X-over steering originally and gank them. If you find those you'll most likely find the rest of the X-over system on that truck so just gank the rest of it too.

I can't remember if that dodge I stole my engine from at the yard had crossover or not. I know it had a Dana 60 front and was 3/4 ton, so it may have.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If your knuckles allow it, they can be machined falt and you can put a hi-steer setup on where the steering arms are up hihg where you can put the drag link on the steering arm separately from the tie rod. The tie rod can stay where it is,or moved up to the steering arm as well (recommneded)

You need the 2WD box since it is smaller and keeps the pitman arm up higher.

Check out some of these links

http://www.extremegearoffroad.com/steering.htm

A simply internet search on "crossover steering" turns up a ton of links.

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/articles/crossover_steering/page1.htm

http://www.offroaddesign.com/Dana60crossover.htm

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/CrossoverSteering/index.shtml

·
Registered
464 Posts
I knew that Xover steering was more up your alley Jason :): I wanna do it to my truck once I replace my axles with Dana 60/80 setup and will be doing crossover at that time.

Thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
what we used to do for x over was-

-steering box out of van(points pitamn in the right direction
-bring all tie rods from van with ya home
-get main tie rod that was 3 piece(2 ends and main center tie rod)earlier dana 44 models
-flip main tie rod over so hole in tie rod will now be over on pass side
-install steering box from van
-run tie rod over from box to hole in main tie rod and install there
-get that all figured out tha disassemble main tie rod and add heavier tubing over to to beef it up and weld at ends
-reinstall and make sure you use the beefiest tie rod ends you can find as well as make sure they are american made.

hope this helps and email me if more info needed

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems pretty good... but what kind of angle would you be looking at with 14" leafs? All I know is that they sell a 4" drop pitman arm. so I have to be at 12 degree or less on my steering stuff.....
thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you bend the tie rod coming off the pitman and add a gusset at the bend it wont flex(break)and you angles will be adjustable by bending the rod first than adding the gussets later

·
Registered
83 Posts
oh yeah you can also swap the pass. side axle knuckle with a ford model and with a little internal grinding the chevy stub shaft will slid through.this knuckle will have an arm bolted to the top for the y type tie rods on most fords and attach the pitman tie rod to it.you should eliminate 99% of the bump steer and make lotsa room to run dual stabilizers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts