Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm faced with an [almost] interesting dilemna, and I figured here would be the best place to ask. I'm 17, and currently driving a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge that I got from my parents.

My question is, would it be worth my time/effort to work on the Ranger? It's a nice truck, and I've had it for almost 7 months now, without any problems/getting stuck.

I'm not very mechanically smart as far as vehicles go, but I learn quickly and am a pretty good problem solver...

Should I just wait until after college and sell the Ranger all stock as it is now and get myself something then, or would it be worth the dough to attempt to rig-it out a little [lift?/heard rumors of 4wd converter kits, but heard they're hellof expensive as well] Has anyone heard of these kits, are they any good, or should I just keep this pretty and get something in 3 years?

Thanks for any response, and yes, I know what I'd want to get if I did happen to get something different, just wondering if it would be worth ridding myself of a free-vehicle.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If its not 4X4, you can do one of two things, turn it into a Baja truck, or just leave it, and buy yourself a 4X4 later. I wouldn't spend that kind of money to lift it, and convert it.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, interesting, doubt that would work too well, I'm living in sugar-sanddunes and swamp... Heh...

Hopefully though, after college I'll be moving back out to Colorado/Utah, I think the whole decision may wait until I know where I'm going...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ah yes, this sounds like a choice I too had to make once apon a time. If I could go back I would do it like this......... Keep the truck since by the time you get out of college it will be paid for (I supose it will anyway, you said your folks gave it to you so I guess they are paying for it too), take good care of it, dont rag it out like every other numpskull teenager does their cars (I took better care of the cars and trucks my parents gave me than the ones I have bought, and I have had my fair share in 10 years of driving, 5 trucks and 4 cars well really 5 cars but I cant really count the fifth because I only had it about 6 monthes before I got t-boned by a 77 year old dude that ran a red light) the reason I say good care is because it gets good gas millage I shure it is a nice truck and it will be a good everyday driver(I had a 99 4x4 extended cab ranger and it was a nice truck). When you get out of college, find a good job and get your shi#$t in order sit down and find a bad ass project 4x4 like a Ram (solid front axle model only though) or a late 70's early 80's chevy fullsize (there again the solid front axle type, solids are the only way to go). This way once its finished you can appreciate the time and effort you have put into you project, and who cares if it sits on 40's and gets 5 miles to the gallon because you have that nice ranger that gets 20 miles to the gallon to drive every day and a bad ass toy for the weekends or when ever you want it. Ihave to climb in and out of mine every day and put gas in it alot more than the 4x4 V6 ranger I used to have (ranger 18 to 20 mpg, dodge 8 to 14 mpg depeding on the weight of your foot). Anyway thats what I would do if I were you. Just my $.02 worth, I Ido speak from experience, the bigger you build em and the harder you wheel em the the costlier they break!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mark has the "bling bling"(thats a Richmond thing by the way) on this one, keep it until you can build somthing else and use it as your daily driver.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew I forgot to mention something, the reason I initially have a Ford is because my dad's company [EMC... generally New England based computer company] has some deal with Ford and GMC that they can get vehicles at factory-direct price [or something like that] The truck is already paid off, and I'm paying half of what was paid for it, but it was $10,500 after all the weird discounts/deals through his company.

I'm already doing fairly well financially [scholarship & job] But I believe I will follow that advice and wait until I'm settled... Hadn't really thought about keeping the Ranger as a daily commuter, but that would probably also please my parents... That would also be better because if I'm going to end up moving 2 vehicles, it makes sense to do that once I'm settled in a house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts