Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after i got my gears i noticed some differance but not alot like others say. what might be wrong i did have 3.55's with the 285. even before the gears i am going about 35mph and try to accellerate it dont do that real good untill i mash the pedal. just curious if anyone thinks this is normal or not. thanks for any replys

·
Registered
160 Posts
If your still running 285's with the 4:56's it should feel like a supercharger was added as far as off the line difference. Did you supply the new gears or did the shop that put them in? Are you positive they installed 4:56's?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree, with 4.56's and 285's if you mash the pedal at a dead stop you will light up the tires every time.

·
Registered
362 Posts
change from 3.55 to 4.56 in a manual tranny is far more noticable because its a direct hook up to the motor where in an auto tranny its not so noticable because of the torque convertor and tranny fluid so on and so forth. Your engine will thank you and so will your tranny (especialy your tranny) for the change even if you dont feel it. Its like this... your girlfriend will thank you for having your driveshaft lengthened so it doesnt keep pulling out the slip yoke even though you cant tell much difference in the connection at the transfer case she shure will. lolololol
:lol:

·
Registered
969 Posts
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
:lol: good analogy mark! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you....Thank you very much!!!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Have you ever considered becoming a comedian? :D:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes a local shop did it i will post number from my old gears when i get a chance. Does the size motor make a differance my dodge has a 318 with flowmaster exhaust.

adding 36/16 super swampers
also have a brush gruard.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
you should notice a difference...a dodge ram with the 5.2 and 3.92 R&P is somewhat equivalent to the 360 with 3.55 R&P...

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
First I had my stock gears (3,90:1) as I remember, and run 33´s, the truck sucks climbing sand dunes, after that I changed them to 4,56:1 and WOW huge difference, the truck no longer die climbing a dune, after that I changed my tires to 35´s and I haven´t try the combo on sand, but in street the truck rides better than stock. (3.90:1 and 265 tires). Maybe they don´t install in your truck 4,56.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Changing from 3.55 to 4.56 you should DEFINITELY feel a change, if not notice a higher RPM at speed. I have an auto, and when I changed, it was like a kick in the butt, I noticed a change right awya, even with a tranny that was about to go. If you don't feel anything, then maybe they didn't install anything and ripped you off...that is the thing with some shops, I have heard of it done before...that is why you make them give you your old gears and parts/pieces to make sure they installed new stuff. You should have a set of gears of the front and rear, they should have bearings on the Pinions, and the carrier from the front end, as you have to change out the carrier to go to 4.56, as 3.90 is the cutoff for carrier size. I would double check to make sure that they actually performed the work...:dunno::

·
Registered
75 Posts
I noticed definatly cause now I have to be careful with the gas a take off and around corners! I chirp my 36 all the time! I really have to try NOT to do it! Most of the time I cant help it!!!!

Ray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts