Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help, as I stated before I am electrically challanged.
My passenger window is dead. It is not that motor. I replaced the motor since my old one was full of mud. I do not know how that could have happened. I have removed the panel and put power directly to the new motor and it goes up and down. It is not the switches. Both stopped working at the same time. I know the passenger switch runs through the drive side switch. I have actually changed the driver switch.
What else am I missing? Is there a window relay somewhere? Checked the relay box in the engine compartment and there is none labeled windows. Any advice would be appreciated since summer is coming fast.
thanks
pne

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The door lock/unlock button is fine?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, that is the first thing I checked. If it was that both windows would have died. To check anyway I swithed it w/ the pwr seat fuse since the are the same.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
what we did in rawkons truck is switch the door lock and window switches. they both fit both plugs and his window switch wasnt working right, but the door lock was.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
when applied the power directly tot he motor, where did you give it the power? was it at the motor itself, or where the switch plugs in. try moving back further from the motor and then determine where the power stops making it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave it power right at the motor. On the switch there are 2 rows of 3 pins trying to find the right combination of pins w/o causing sparks was a pain.
It sounds like there is not a relay somewhere hidden in the truck and that I am going to have to get serious to find out where the problem is or be really lazy and drop it off at the shop. there is a shop next to my house that specializes in car electrical repair. probably take him 15min.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it all looked good until it got into the body of the truck. Oh well, i was just hoping for something simple that i might have missed

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm not sure if this applies to the sparks comment when you where putting power to the motor but when i work on electrical stuff and if we had sparks fly while applying power it usually meant we shorted somethin.
Can you your windows up from the driverside???

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drivers window works fine
passenger's is dead from both switches.
I know sparks are bad and electrical runs on smoke, let smoke out and it does not work anymore. There is so many connection combinations on the back of the switch I had to guess which posts to connect to and when i was wrong i would get small sparks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could also be a bad passenger side switch, it needs both switches to work.

If you want to do some testing, here's what the '00 service manual has for the passenger side switch pinout:

1- BR/WT - one leg of the up/down from driver's side switch. Should be ground unless trying to roll the window up from the driver's side (then +12V).

2- VT/WT - the other leg. Also ground unless trying to roll window down from driver's side.

3- VT - To motor

4- BR - To motor

I'd jump VT/WT to VT and jump BR/WT to BR then try the driver's side switch. It should work if the driver's side switch and all wiring is okay. If not, I'd suggest getting a test light (any 12V bulb with two wires attached will do) and hooking up the following combinations on the connector:

Pin 1 & ground and try the driver's side switch (up)

Pin 2 & ground and try the switch (down).

If only one works it's either a bad wire or a bad driver's side switch.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, that should give something to try this weekend. I am pretty sure I tried switching the passenger door lock (which works)w/ the window switch. I can not remember, the last time i tried fixing it was early oct. Did not care during the winter, hell, i do not sit over there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts