Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything about the warn m8000 i dont want a winch not to big or to small but i havent heard anything about this one.

·
Registered
969 Posts
he's right! the winch has to be at least 1.5 times the GVWR. I'd go with a hydraulic winch, they are much better.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Problem wiht hydraulic is that you need the motor running! At least if you drain the battery on an electric, you can use a second or swap batteries with a buddy! Only problem is run time, it is limited with an electric, but how often have you needed to winch and overheat the motor and need to wait?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well you could do what I'm going to do (once I get outta the east coast and somewhere where its warm so I can work on my truck with out going numb!)

Get a hydrualic winch and mount it on the front. Then get a electric winch mounted in the truck bed. You could get really ambitious and mount a second winch in the bed, with pulleys to redirect the cable out to the front!? That way you could use hydraulic and/or electric on the front. :):

Course, I'm rather cold so forgive me if thats not making much sense :wink: Later all, I think I'm gonna walk back outside and freeze somemore.

-Chris

·
Registered
969 Posts
Jason is right, both hydraulic and electric winches have their pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ive had a ramsey 9000 and now I have a milemarker 12,000 k. The electric was easier to mount, but i frequently had problems with it over heating, not once was it strong enough to pull my fullsize on 38's out, even when it did pull other trucks out it would strain and slow down, this new milemarker I have is killer, I locked my truck in 4x4 and put it in park and hooked the cable to a very large off road utility truck/cherrypicker. The winch started to pull and when the cable got tight it never strained or slowed, it just kept pulling, and my truck slid(wheels locked) across the field to the other truck. It was impressive with the pulling power of the winch, the milemarker also has two speeds the high speed only pulls 3000 lbs or so but it is very fast. I love this milemarker winch so far.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mr. Wizard-(by the way, why don't you register)
I have seen hydraulic winches set-up to be moved from front to rear like the multi-mount winch. You just have to run hydraulic lines to the front and rear. You have valves on the end of the lines. You to turn them off then undo a connector and take it to the other end of the vehicle, connect, then turn the valves back on. So as you see you can have a hydraulic winch front or rear, or removed to protect from theft. I pesonally would go with electric but the choice is up to the operator.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Also my 12,000lb Milermarker winch from <!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.winchesplus.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End --> cost me $1050.00 shipped to my door. Thats cheaper than any other 12k winch that I know of.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The only problem with movable winches is the limited capacity. The recievers are only rated to 10k max pulling and that may not be enough. I want pulling power (Warn M12000 or MileMaker 10,000lb) but like I said, the truck has to be running for the MileMarker.
At least you have a chance with the electric. Not everyone in your group will have a winch, but they will all have batteries you can swap if yours die. They can be idling and recharging the dead batteries while you wait to cool your winch motor if you are not out yet.

I would love the speed and 100% duty cycle of the hydraulic, problem is is also that the power steering pump/fluid can overheat is you are pulling that long.

If I didn't run mud and deep water every so often and stuck to rock crawling and such, I would consider hydraulic since when I am stuck on the rocks, my rig would typically still be running, not submerged under water or dead cuz the engine compartment is full of mud.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You have a very good point Jason, your truck sees more mud and deep water than rocks, and sand, but the overheating thing is not a problem supposedly, Milemarker says the winch is actually less stessful on the pump and fluid than the tires are, Milemarker did a fluid temp. test and the city driving heated the fluid up more than a long continuous heavy duty pull did.
Also my 2500HD with the tow group, has a power steering fluid cooler, i guess that helps, I still need to put a filter on the line. If anyone wants a good laugh check this out... <!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.winchtest.com/" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End --> The Warn Winches Failed tests repeatedly, it helped me make my decision to get a milemarker.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
On the new 2002 Superduty 250/350 they have a PTO option for the tranny.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think electric is better, because with the way these trucks are, if they get stuck, you may not be able to work a hydraulic. An electric can be powered by anyone who has a battery.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well if the situation was bad enough, I could hook the winch up to most other trucks, the hoses are 4 feet and 5 feet long, but no shorter than the leads on a winch. It would require 1 wrench to plumb new connections and about 2 quarts of power steering fluid. Longer lines could be purchased, maybe not as easily as the battery leads though. Im just not buying the whole vehicle not starting thing, jumper cables will not support a winch, may help a wounded vehicle but thats all. Ive had both and I will never purchase a electric winch again, especially a ramsey mor like Flimsey.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
ok, so your engine is dead, filled full of mud... you are in bigger troubles if you ask me and how well does an electric work under 2 ft of muddy water anyway? I think the hydraulic sounds like the best option, but I wondered.. why not mount a 10HP gas engine in your truck bed hooked up to a power steering pump... and run lines to the front and back if ya wanted to... so your engine dies.. fire up your little 10HP, crank your way out of the mud and on you go??? Just a thought!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The Milemarker has an option. It is a portable "winch-mate" it is a small 5-10hp motor with a pump on it and quick disconnect hoses, if your truck it stuck and dead, you fire up the "winch-mate" plug in the 2 hoses and operate the winch. Can the Electric winch do that? No, I didnt think so.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
LOL... damn, and I though that I would have thought up something that no one else had :(: anyway... I am still determined to find something that is unique that I can make, market, sell, and make lots of money on!

·
Registered
23 Posts
How about a chainsaw winch? I know they sound cheep but I got one that I carry in the back for a back up to my 9000lb on the front reciever. The chainsaw winch pulls 4000 straight pull or 8000 with a snatch block how much more do you really need in a pinch.....I guess you could use another snatch block and bring your pull up even more..it has 120ft of cable on it....just a thought

1 - 20 of 31 Posts