Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Love and myself are the proud new owners of a 1959 Willys Jeep. We had to purchace this to keep from tearing up our trucks. Where ever we take this though its going to be balls to the wall!!! First plans are to give it a bedliner paint job, full roll cage, and 5 point harnesses. It already runs like a top.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice,

My dad has a 56 Willys wagon that we used to use when I was little for hunting and off road beating.
Had a Chevy 396 stuffed under the hood to make sure it had enough torque to go anywhere.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of oil should we put in this thing? It leaks a little and its running a little low. We have already tried it out in the mud and it did excelent for only having 31x10.50 Trail Blazer A/T's on it. Also, do you know of anywhere that sales gas tanks for cheap for a Willys. It also leaks a little. We are open to suggestions on cheap and easy ways to make this a raw dawg off road machine.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The Willy"s you got, is it the "wagon" or Jeep? I've always likes the wagon style, and one day plan on owning one! Try surplus sites for your gas tank needs. I can't recall a name, but I have seen sites devoted to surplus vehicles.

Troy

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Can we see a pic of the Hell Truck?

·
Registered
277 Posts
We will have some on here as soon as possible. There was two polaroids taken yesterday and im going to the drug store to get some film in a few minutes, so that our first trip in the mud with it can be documented (played around in it last night for about 30 minutes). My scanner seems to be nonfunctionable right now but maybe the pictures can be put on a disk when they are developed.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We changed the oil in it tonight and found where it has been leaking from. If anyone knows a little about a Willys 4 banger we need your help. There is a bolt right below the exaust manifold to the left that has broke off inside the engine block, way down in the threads. It holds on a metal piece that has a line to the fuel pump. Any ideas?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello All,
just thought I'd share my Willy's project as well. I also posted this in the Fantasy Rig section. The project right now is a 54' Willy's Overland Station wagon.
[img=400x292]http://www.pavementsucks.com/gallery/images/geepm12.jpg[/img]
It would be a highly modified from the original. Modern interior work done, including a new dash. carpeted. you know make it fun to be inside. The Engine will eventually be a Cummins Turbo Diesel (Can't decide if the International/Ford Power Stroke) will fit. Due to the wieght of the engine and trailer it will at least be 3/4 ton or 1 ton chassis. Body will include fabricated grill, headlight casing in the fender, hood scoops, bumpers... Lights will include High intesity driving lights mounted above the windshield, actually embedded into the roof. Yellow strobe lights will also be mounted with the driving lights, and on the back on the sides of the third brake light. The brake lights will be mounted on the corners, possably using a new SUV type. Paint will be a product I sell called DeRam Kote. A Ceramic coating that is sprayed on just like normal automotive paints. The properties of CeRam Kote are that it will not be scartched nearly as easily and mud and grime will just wash off. Heck, they use this stuff to protect against tagging, a pressure washer will take spray paint right off. Anyways it will be a brilliant blue with faux veneer (Painted on using CeRam Kote, making it look wood grained)... Anywayz thats my Rig dream at the moment. If anyone's got a wrecked 3/4 ton with a cummins let me know, I need a donor .
Take Care,
Joe

·
Registered
220 Posts
i have a '52 willy's jeep. it also runs like a top and it will go just about anywhere with the original flat four and 4.30 gears. i run 15w-40 oil in mine it seems to be the best i've tried

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GeepM, You seem to have bigger dreams for yours than we do ours, but I would definately like to see a picture of it once it's completed.
Dodge44066, We bought 10W30 for ours because that is recommended on a Willys web site for winter. We are new to this so we really don't know much. We are still looking for a way to get that bolt out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey while were talking willys i thought id tell yall about my dad's. Nothin fancy, just a old 56 or 57 jeep. Being a mechanic, he keeps it running pretty well but unilke everything else he owns he isnt so particular about it. Anyway, itll sure go about anywhere and it is alot of fun. We mostly just use it for hunting and stuff like that but itll does some pretty serious offroading too from time to time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey dude, you rekon you can ask your dad a question for us? On the driver side of our engine there is a round metal thing that goes from the block to fuel pump. The bolt has broken off inside there. Any helpful info. would be appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh by the way, rattlesnake, ill ask my dad about the bolt below the exhaust manifold that your talkin about that broke off. Hell either be able to tell me what it is and how to fix it so i can tell you or hell be able to go down and look at his and figure it out so he can tell me and i can tell you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Rattlesnake and Toyota love, My dad says hell go down and look at his jeep tomarrow morning and check it out for you. Do either of yall have aol instant messenger so we can talk about it alittle easier than in this forum?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ours is a four cylinder engine. Niether one us is mechanically inclined so that is about all we can say about it, but I'll try. There is a little round kind of cupped shaped metal thing that goes into the engine block right under the manifold on the left side. It has a hose that connects it either to the fuel pump or oil pump, like I said not mec. inclined so bare with me here. It was leaking oil out from around this metal thing and there is a bolt that runs through the center of it, so I went to tighten it up and I noticed that it was very loose. It was a 1/2" bolt I believe. Anyway, I thought I had it tight enough and when I pulled the socket off the bolt came with it. It is about 3 or 4" long and it is broke off at the very beginning of the threads, so I don't know how long it is past the threads. The hole that the metal piece covers is about an inch deep before I can feel where the bolt went in at. Go to http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b and look under on of the topics that says engine. It is on the left side of the engine. There is a perfect picture of what we are talking about. Sorry for taking so long, its just I don't know how to explain it any better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ok i'm pretty sure i know what youre talking about but what exactly do you want to know a bout it? Do you want to know how to get the rest of the broken off bolt out of the hole or do you need the part to replace it or what? Tell me just what you need to know about this and ill see if i can find out something that wwill help.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are tring to figure out how to get the rest of the bolt out, hopefully without tearing the whole block apart, but we already think we are going to have to do that. I really do appreciate your patience and help, 'cause we just bought it the other day and all wheeling we had hoped to do in it this weeking has came to a hault.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts