Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a guy that has a low (45k) mile 47re that he's willing to sell. will it bolt up to, and is it compatible (computer-wise) with the 360/1500?? Would it be plug-'n-play or would I have to chase down a computer from a 2500?

Up front, i did a search and couldn't find where anyone had addressed this...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was kinda thinking that, cause why would you waste putting 47re parts into a 46 if you could bolt on the 47... :silly:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Exactly WHAT 47re parts will work in the 46re?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Wish they had the same motor/tranny/tcase mounts... a v10 sure would be worth getting a loan to swap in... if only I could do it w/ my limited skills :roll:

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
47 is a direct swap to a 46....The internal drums and things are bigger and you can put more clutches, etc from 47 into your 46 and all to beef up your 46. I am sure there are a few other things internally that are different.

Otherwise, the external case is identical and will bolt up.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
:withstupid:

You could buy a 2500 from the factory with a 5.9/360 and a 47RH/RE behind it, I believe. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
On 2005-03-30 08:18, ZacD wrote:

You could buy a 2500 from the factory with a 5.9/360 and a 47RH/RE behind it, I believe. I could be wrong.

I've only seen the 47RE/RH behind the V-10 and Diesel

:baby:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
i always read that they would not swap.... otherwise i would have a 47re on my truck, and APS would no be selling beefed up 46RE's... they would be selling 47's

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2005-03-29 22:22, American wrote:
Exactly WHAT 47re parts will work in the 46re?

This is word-of-mouth, but I believe you can use the OD planetary, the front planetary, and maybe the bands??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've also heard that the '97 and up 46REs are better than the previous years. Has anyone noted a trend that the '97s and up are better/break less??

My '97 has had no problems that I know of (I picked it up with 58k on it, and I'm at 105k now). I don't know whether to leave well enough alone, or try to get a beefed up tranny before I start the gearing and HP build up.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
On 2005-03-30 08:26, Mr Joe wrote:
On 2005-03-30 08:18, ZacD wrote:

I've only seen the 47RE/RH behind the V-10 and Diesel

:baby:

correct, the 47re was only behind the V10 and CTD, it was never offered behing the V8

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
On 2005-03-30 08:06, Madd Ramm wrote:
47 is a direct swap to a 46....The internal drums and things are bigger and you can put more clutches, etc from 47 into your 46 and all to beef up your 46. I am sure there are a few other things internally that are different.

Otherwise, the external case is identical and will bolt up.

So, you're saying that I can change my 46's for a 47's and bolt it right to my 5.2???. If you're correct, that's going to be my next tranny when this one die.

Here's other thing, if the 47RE comes just in the V10 and CTD, it shouldn't bolt right up to a 5.2/5.9 because the bolt pattern should be different. Am I correct?. Other thing, why do guys rebuild 46RE trannies instead of buying a 47RE? (I know the price may be an issue, but if it wasn't (hipotheticaly talking))

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
OK we need to get this 46re and 47re parts swapping deal taken care of for sure. I need to know what to tell the damn tranny guy I want in my tranny when this one goes. I plan on beefing up the current drivetrain, instead of swapping. We'll see how that goes. :roll:

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Planetaries can be swapped. I am unsure about how the drums fit and how many clutches you can fit into each.

if your tranny guy doesn't know, then you shouldn't be letting him build your tranny. He should know this stuff!!! :cuss:

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
On 2005-03-30 16:34, Madd Ramm wrote:

if your tranny guy doesn't know, then you shouldn't be letting him build your tranny. He should know this stuff!!! :cuss:

i dont think thats a very fair statement to say. for instance. you own a dodge ram and because you have worked on it you know what tires fit and what lift is required etc. if someone drops off a mazda and asks you what fits, you wont know unless you have specifically worked on that truck before. you know how to lift the truck properly and how to put tires on properly, but you would need to look at the truck first and compare parts. thats even if you have parts in stock to measure and compare with.

just because the guy doesnt know specifically about the dodge ram trannies, does not mean he doesnt know what hes doing inside transmissions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
46, 47, 48RE all use the same case just different inards. Why would they waste money to make three different cases to go in the same truck. Even the new Hemi will bolt up to our second gen trucks.

G

·
On 2005-03-29 23:08, Burglar wrote:
from what I understood, the v10 has the same bell housing as a 3.9/5.2/5.9

V10 has a different bellhousing pattern than the v8's. It shares the same pattern as the CTD

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
If the bell housings are different, how could the 46RE and 47RE be interchangeable?? Unless the bell housings unbolt from the tranny? :baby:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts