Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright for a little while now when im driving at about 35-40 or braking and im around that speed i can feel my whole truck wobbling from side to side. its not real bad but noticeable and i would like it to stop!! the steering shakes too when the whole truck is going. anyone know what i should do to stop this??

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i would check the tie rods and the ball joints. after that have the tires balanced. if its still, then take it to a front end shop.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The dreded "Death wobble".......

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could it have anything to do with the shocks. mine are old and stock and pretty much gone. the tires have been balanced and the front end is aligned so its not that. maybe its the tie rod ends...if so is there any way for me to look myself and be able to tell

·
Registered
362 Posts
Refer to my answer in this post reguarding truck swerving from side to side.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.cgi?topic=2468&forum=11&start=0&3#3
maybe this will answere you question.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha...wish that was the case cause i wouldnt have to worry about fixing something. my truck doesnt wobble everytime around those speeds just every now and then. still annoying though

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was driving about 50, hit the brakes, not too hard but harder than "soft" and it started to shake like a motherf---er. I mean Bad. I couldn't figure out what it was, but it doesn't happen when i go slow and brake. But I did notice a little pull. I think my brakes need to be replaced and that might have a lot to do w/ it. I hope it isn't the ball joints but w/ 35x12.5, it sure could be.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know its not the brakes with mine b/c sometimes it ill start doin when im just driving. i replaced the front brakes a year ago too so i know its not the brakes

·
Registered
362 Posts
MAybe your tie rod endings...not really shure though... Ill see if somebody I know can clue me in. I would figure its deffinitly in the steering though. I would say.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sounds to me like you have a bent rotor.does it do it more going one way than the other?

does it pull a little?

does the wheel shake when you put your foot on the brakes?

have you went through water after using your brakes hard before entering the puddle?

i would lean towards that if any of the above have happened.it doesnt take much to warp a rotor after they get hot and cool down really quickly

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Are the tires balanced properly?? Also can you feel the wobble in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is your balljoints and wheel bearings up front. My truck has the same symptoms as your truck and it isn't hard to replace them you just have to have some extra time to do it yourself. That is a lot easier than waitng until a joint breaks and tears more stuff up.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
once i get past the 35-40 range its fine. its not the brakes i know that. no i dont have a stabalizer but i only have 33x12.50's on there so i dont really need it

·
Registered
83 Posts
heres a real weird ne that happened to me.

i had a branch goe through my tire than break off inside.

i didnt know why the tire went flat so i put 2 plugs in it than drove off.after a while i was shaking and every now and again could here something like dragging and there was a piece of branch INSIDE my tire causing it to go out of balance at slow speeds and fine at higher speeds.

i guess if you havent run over anything lately or knocked your tire off of the bead than its not likely

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i got the truck fixed today and the wobble to stop. the guys at the shop said the suspension was fine they just balanced the tires and did a little alignment adjustment. it drives great now....just back my tax return though so im puttin on ranchos ASAP and headers soon after that!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts