Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FIL has a small 4x6 trailer that we borrow once and a while for camping and he's got a 1-7/8" coupler on it and the ball has such a tiny shank. Why bother and not just not go with 2" for compatibility with the rest of the world?

Now when I need to borrow it, I have to swap parts to my ball mount as he's truck is a 2WD Nissan Frontier and ours is a 4x4 Tahoe.

I have talked to a few other folks and they have the smaller couplers as well. Sure the trailer may not need the bigger coupler for capacity reasons, but you'd think that they would use it simply for compatibility reasons.

If his ball mount had more drop, it would be fine to use that, but its 1" drop and need my 8" drop (not enough weight to level out with less drop with that trailer)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I don't see any reason for not just going with the 2" instead of the 1-7/8".

I saw these at Napa the other day, they were like $40 but the ball was just held with a pin but rated for the same weight as the regular balls. Sure beats multiple drop hitch's or those $300 adjustable drop hitches.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I have a 2" ball on one of my many drawbars laying around thats smaller than the one 1-7/8 ball I have. Why? I dont know, but its old.

I agree. no need for 1-7/8 anymore. What gets me now is the 16-18' car trailers with a 2" coupler thats only rated to 6k but the trailer it self has a 7k weight rating.

Rick

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
I just had this same conversation with my dad the other day. We have an old boat trailer that we rarely tow, and ended up just cutting the front off, and adding a new 2" coupler. But yea, 1 7/8" is pretty outdated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts