Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions, actually. 1.Whenever I go into Torque-lockup, I hear a loud whining noise. Now, I know this is bad, I am not that stupid. The dealership said they repaired "all malfunctions with the transmission" last time it was in. My big hairy butt they did. I just wanted to ask if anyone else had experienced the same thing, and if it indeed was the Torque Converter that was going bad, if not so already. I can take it out of overdrive, and guess what, the whine goes away. So, yes, maybe I answered my own question, but I want to make sure before I go talk to my tranny guy. 2. When I broke my pinion gear offroad last time, I had to remove the rear driveshaft (naturally) and I had a bit of tranny fluid loss out of the T-case. Where is the fill port for the tranny case, is it the allen bolt in the middle of the t-case on the rear side about halfway up? Or is it somewhere else? And how much fluid does the T-case hold? I need to add some, I know that for sure, just haven't done it before and I would like to know what I am in for.

What really sucks is the battle that I am going to have to fight in the next week or so for a new tranny, due to the fact that I just went out of warranty, and they never fixed it to begin with after 4 times of being in the shop. Chrysler is going to hate hearing my name...:wink:

One more quick question for everyone: How many of you Dodge Owners (94 and up) with the 46RE in their trucks, have had major, or even minor problems, with the transmission and had to have it repaired while still in warranty? Need this for evidence for when I make my case against DC. Thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
213 Posts
The fill for the t-case is about 2/3 up on the back side of the case. Its about 1 1/4", I could be wrong on the size, with a flat head. Look just like the drain plug.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Theres a tranny write up in the tech section that Jason did. I don't know how helpful it will be but it was what I used when I serviced my tranny.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
hey beast didnt you just get new gears? was that before or after you got it back from the dealer? if the gears are cheapo's or improperly setup they will whine also. it could even be a bad bearing in the rear axle since they always like to go.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but it sounds familiar...I replaced my gears a while back. Ever since, I had a noise that sounded like a pinion bearing. I replaced the bearings and races... noise still there. Then I remembered Madd and Ramsport heard the noise coming from my tranny. I noticed the other night that when I kick it out of OD the noise went away.....Bad bearing or sun gear?? What did you find Beast??

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
you said fill port for tranny.....im pretty sure you meant tcase...but tranny is just pouring it down dipstick....i know u probably already knew that though......im pretty sure the tcase fill port is the allen bolt that he mentioned above

1 - 6 of 6 Posts