Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to ask this in here and I probably know what most of the people in here are going to say. I have been looking around for practically any type of 4x4 that companies have a bunch of mods for so i can have them all, duh. After looking in to the jeep i decided not to cause i am use to V-8 power and being high up. Then I looked into the same model has my ramcharger just the pickup but i have noticed that people don't freely have lifts for dodges featured in mag advertisments. But then I look in my mags and there are 10in lifts for chevies but i only see like 8in for dodges. I see chevy engines but not advertisments for dodge engines. Why is this, is it because chevy engines are cheaper to build-up or what, and are chevies easier to lift and more relible off-road. Cause i find it really hard to have something else that is more dependable off-road than my Dodge. (I said dependable off-road not on-road) But why is this?

Dual exhaust w/ glass packs
31x10.50R15 Mud Tires
No Lift
Marron/White

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea well chevys are more reliable than anything. I would go with a ford, no a dodge. well most every truck has tons of mods go with your favorite.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
the chevy ifs is probably one of the most complicated trucks to lift. dont get me wrong im a huge chevy guy and love my truck. i wish i had a straight axle more than anything but hey i can live. dodges do have a good V8 dont think they dont. i would either go with a chevy or dodge. NO TO FORDS!! i would say chevy just cause im more of a chevy guy... FoundOnRoadDead-theres your ford...haha

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
well, the best thing is to do is mix it up a bit. true, you can go the wal-mart and on the way out stop at that game with the are that drops and get a crank and cam for a 350. that is my main prob with mopar, but it will be ok. anything older would be ok, new i would go with dodge so you do not have to do a solid swap. he goes ask your self some questions
1 daily driver or play?, 2 new or old? 3 major project or quicky?
if you are going with a play toy, i would make a monster mill with a nv4500 5 speed, dana 60's,lockers, and np 205 gear drivin x-case. try and find some leafs all around. bigger cheaper lift.
if you are building a daily driver i would go more conservitive, wear and tear, gas millage, drivability and practicality (to an extent). have fun and let us know

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i forgot to say I am looking for a truck within the year of 78 - 84. Just becuse of insurance prices. But anyways i am wondering which truck is cheaper to lift and i more durable. Because i love my ramcharger but my dad is making me sell it. Plus my ramcharger in an auto tranny and i want something that is stick cause i do much better with those. And the reason i want to know which one is cheaper n because i love mudding and restoring trucks and cars (mostly mopars) but i want somethingi can mud and ock crawl in but be able to maintane it, cause i don't make a bnch of money while in high school.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
if money is a major issue, wait until it is less of an issue. if you must, as much as i hate to say it, small block chevy. anything in that time frame will be easy and cheap to lift. soild axles and leaf springs. 350s are super cheap to build. i do not know about chevy tranies, but i am sure you will come out better that way. sorry man, i am a mopar guy also, but it is the truth. look on the bright side, at least it will not be a z71 :):

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Why don't you take an old Landcruiser FJ40, toss in a Chevy 350 engine and build that truck up? There are tons of extra's for them and when you fix them up they sell for high $$$

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hands down, Chevy's are the easiest and cheapest trucks to build. Plus, the parts interchangability between them is so good. You can practically build a whole truck out of spare parts that you find lying around. Hell, you can still get a 4" Chevy lift for under 300 bucks!

Just stay away from the IFS trucks though, those are a whole new ballgame.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
hey i remember seeing that kit before..isnt it genuine suspension or something like that?? and even the 6" lift is under a grand. so i would go with an 80's chevy

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i had a 79 scottsdale and it was a nice little truck. 350/350 trans, full time 4wd, 2.5" rancho and 33's. it fell apart but was cheap to fix.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nothing is cheaper and easier to maintain than a Chevy truck, especially from the years you are looking for. Why? Used parts are in every bone yard around, and new parts are so inexpensive and available it isn't even funny. Add to that the solid axle, leaf spring suspension at both ends, and interchangability of parts...you can't go wrong.

Sniper

On 2002-04-12 11:16, marshmanjr wrote:
Oh i forgot to say I am looking for a truck within the year of 78 - 84. Just becuse of insurance prices. But anyways i am wondering which truck is cheaper to lift and i more durable. Because i love my ramcharger but my dad is making me sell it. Plus my ramcharger in an auto tranny and i want something that is stick cause i do much better with those. And the reason i want to know which one is cheaper n because i love mudding and restoring trucks and cars (mostly mopars) but i want somethingi can mud and ock crawl in but be able to maintane it, cause i don't make a bnch of money while in high school.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts