Off Road Vehicles banner

where to put a tow strap

7K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  dennhop 
#1 ·
ok on my truck i have no place to put a tow strap on theres not receiver of ball. so were would be the best place to put a tow strap. i heard from many people that you should put it around the axle or around the frame but then again there a possibility of the frame maybe bending and the axle getting yanked off. thnaks for the advice :hack: :sorry: for the noobish question

#2 ·
I would never hook to the axle or hangers. They are to vulnerable to pull from. You can pull from the frame but I would just spend the little money and buy some tow points and not worry about it. You can pick up hitches for little to nothing.

#3 ·
im going to save up for tow piont and hitchs and all that crap. but right now my truck is stock and has no tow points none that i know of (haven't really checked) and i know the back dosent have a hitch. so if i get stuck before i buy my whole setup ill get it pulled from the frame or do you think this might bend/mess up the frane?

#4 ·
Ummm...I wouldn't probably ever pull from the axle. Just say no to that one.

You can tow from the frame (as in yourself out...), but check with some shops around where you are. I picked up a used receiver hitch for $30, cheap install and there ya have it...problem solved.
And heck, if you're that worried about hurting something before you get a formal tow set up, don't do anything to get yourself stuck before then.

#7 ·
dont wheel if you arent prepared.. i for one would refuse to pull you out if you had no legit tow points. its not worth risking damnaging someone elses vehicle or my own, let alone the chance of someone getting hurt.. plain and simple. if your are not prepared, dont do it

#8 ·
On 2005-11-23 21:58, Bosco wrote:
dont wheel if you arent prepared.. i for one would refuse to pull you out if you had no legit tow points. its not worth risking damnaging someone elses vehicle or my own, let alone the chance of someone getting hurt.. plain and simple. if your are not prepared, dont do it

I 2nd that. I will not pull someone out if I do not think their tow point is safe. Getting thier truck out of the mud is not worth risking my life or other peoples lives over. I feel tow points are the most important thing on a vehicle and they are a lot of times overlooked. Many people don't relize how much force is actually being put on a tow point when a vehicle is getting yanked out of the mud.

Unless you can fabricate a good tow point, at minimum get a well made receiver for the back of your truck that bolts to the frame, the higher the weight rating the better. Hook a strap to a CLEVIS, not a ball. The front can be tricky. Some factory tow hooks are fairly strong, but many are not. Your best bet is to get a well made aftermarket bumper that has a receiver or clevis mounts built into it.

#9 ·
On 2005-11-23 22:11, BrokeCuzWheelin wrote:

I 2nd that. I will not pull someone out if I do not think their tow point is safe. Getting thier truck out of the mud is not worth risking my life or other peoples lives over. I feel tow points are the most important thing on a vehicle and they are a lot of times overlooked. Many people don't relize how much force is actually being put on a tow point when a vehicle is getting yanked out of the mud.

Unless you can fabricate a good tow point, at minimum get a well made receiver for the back of your truck that bolts to the frame, the higher the weight rating the better. Hook a strap to a CLEVIS, not a ball. The front can be tricky. Some factory tow hooks are fairly strong, but many are not. Your best bet is to get a well made aftermarket bumper that has a receiver or clevis mounts built into it.

being that he has a dodge he is lucky that the mopar factory tow hooks are VERY strong, yet expensive

#10 ·
for the front build a reciever and like said befor get a frame hitch for the back
here is what i did for the front
[img=500x382]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322743_126_full.jpg[/img]

rear .. had a backhoe pull me out with the rear set up at the mud boggs worked excelent get a good strap though
[img=500x382]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322743_128_full.jpg[/img]

#11 ·
after you get a hitch, dont hook a strap to the ball. Get something like the warn clevis/d-ring thing that goes into the hitch. also get a strap that doesn't have hooks.

#12 ·
On 2005-11-23 22:11, BrokeCuzWheelin wrote:

:withstupid: Be prepared before you go wheeling. :baby:

#13 ·
ok i have one tow point that is pretty weak its a ball that is mounted onto my rear bumper i never noticed that before. i'm just going to stick with putting as tow starp around that ball and just hope my bumper can hold me getting towed out lol. once i get my font mount hitch and rear mount then ill be good or i might make so tow points after i learn to weld. :driving: :poke:

#16 ·
If you take the ball out, you can put a shackle through that hole. It's still a bad idea but you're not listening anyway.

#17 ·
On 2005-11-24 10:52, greengiant wrote:
ok i have one tow point that is pretty weak its a ball that is mounted onto my rear bumper i never noticed that before. i'm just going to stick with putting as tow starp around that ball and just hope my bumper can hold me getting towed out lol.

A weak tow point is not funny. Someone will get hurt. DO NOT PUT A STRAP OVER A BALL. The strap will come right off the ball. If you are dead set on not using a receiver hitch, at least take the ball out and put a clevis through the hole. The hopefully all that will happen then is you will bend your bumper into a V.

#19 ·
On 2005-11-24 15:52, greengiant wrote:
dude im going to get a recevier hitch i just don't have the money to put into it right this minute. i'm only 17 i still have other stuff to save up for and my only job is cutting my hours do you know how i feel? :cuss: :naughty:

Then don't go wheeling until you can afford to do it safely...

And yes, I know how you feel.

#22 ·
:twak: so if i do get pulled from the ball i should be good and only minor damage like a bent bumper, unless he freaking puts the petal the the metal and i her a snap and see my bumper fly off which would be awsome because i have a new bumper that my dad hasn't put on yet because we need a torch. lol not :shoot:

#25 ·
Bending your bumper is the least of your worries. When you break that tow ball off, it turns into a rock and your tow rope is the sling shot. It's heading in a straight line towards whatever vehicle is pulling you out. I know you're upset by us telling you not to wheel until it's safe, but how would you feel if you killed somebody with your shoddy setup? This problem is very real and happens several times a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.