Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any of yall know where i can get a good set of antiwrap (long) perches for my d30 on the jeep? ive got a set for the back, but i cant find anyone who makes good ones for 2.5"x2" springs. should i convert to 2.5" springs on the front since i have an extra set of yj springs sittin around?

thanks
jake

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's not a bad idea to convert for the front. The wider spring will be less likely to wrap without limiting flex. It's a common CJ mod.

Of course, the easiest way to solve this is to fab some up yourself. It's not that tough to make some.

I a$$ume you need the offset-style perches to get around that front pumpkin. MORE (mountainoffroad.com) has them, but like you said, only for the YJ width springs.

::EDIT:: Those MORE perches aren't lengthened anti-wrap, if you're heart is set on that style.

Walrus,

--Hardy :D:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok, now that I can actually think straight, I wouldn't be worried about anti-wrap spring plates in the front anyway.

If you are, I would, in addition, be concerned about snapping axel shafts in that 30 as well.

But, one more time, the YJ springs up front, as long as your putting new perches on, are a good idea.

Titties,

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, yeah im very seriously considering swapping the springs, the only problem is i dont know what exactly is going to have to be done to the shackle side to fit them. i know MORE(i think) offers special shackles that are offset to compensate, but i was actually wanting to go revolvers up front. so i guess if i can find wider spring mounts (frame) then i can bolt them on, get the revolvers, and then be good?

i dont really know im just thinking out loud here

thanks for the reply hardy
--jake

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well since the rear springs are the same width as YJ springs, you could just pick up a set of stock rear CJ spring shackles and put those on the front for the time being. Probly be cheaper, although it would require relocating the shackles forward some to compensate for length.

I found this, guy a Pirate fabbed these 'shackle boxes' on the rear to compensate for Waggy spring length, maybe you could dream something up like it for the front?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/muddyjeep1/spring_mounted.jpg

What do you mean by 'getting revolvers'? You lost me there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also:
i do believe to compensate for the longer leaves, I can just buy the new wider spring mounts, and move them up 1 bolt hole in the frame toward the bumper. (drilling 1 new one for the top bolt). this should give me the little length i need.
--jake

·
Registered
245 Posts
WHOA! Those revolvers are crazy tits! If you get them, post up how they do.

Yea, I googled for CJ/YJ spring swap and that's what most people said.

That box was just if you want to use the stock shackle locations as drilling extra holes might cause strength issues (which, I think, would be negligible).

Ok, fine, I just saw it and thought it looked cool. Shuddup.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
comeon hardy, i thought youd seen those things for sure! im seriously thinking about savin up for those, and when i mean savin up im not kidding. they run nearly 200 bucks for a pair :wall:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've seen a version of them, but those are a bit different interpretation. I'd be careful, the other build-up I read that involved those kinds of anti-wrap (Blake on Pirate/LoneStar) said they enduced MORE wheel hop than god. It just didn't hold the axel where it needed to be. Your experience may be different, that's just what he said.

You might want to consider going with a traction bar. You can fab one up yourself or they sell for ~$150-200. A buddy of mine fabbed one for me (3 tractor steering joints from TSCo (are they called Johnny Joints?) and some tube, about $80) and I couldn't be happier. I used to have my rear end hop like a BITCH when I pounded it off the line to the point I thought I might bind the rear and have something grenade. Now, smooth as a baby's butt. No wheel hop, no nothing.

If you want a full write up of how we fabbed together that traction bar, I'll throw one together for you.

Again, if you're worried about wrap in the front, you must have alot under the hood or some odd setup. I'd concentrate on the rear as that's where most of your push is coming from. The front is just kinda helping along, you know? Not trying to be insulting, I just can't decipher if you're talking about having those perches for the front or the rear (or both!).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i was planning on putting the perches on both front and rear. really, i think they are a bit taller than normal perches and i thought it would just be easier to go ahead and put them on the front since i wanted them for the rear. this traction bar, is it something like a 3 link?

thanks,
--jake

EDIT:
you must have alot under the hood

why yes...the explosive inline six :D:

·
Registered
245 Posts
On 2005-12-15 16:23, dirty_dodge wrote:
this traction bar, is it something like a 3 link?

No, as it's purpose is to keep the axel from rolling with the torque of the tires (axel wrap, inducing wheel hop) and tranfers that movement into up and down. 3-links are more for front to back movement (like control arms kinda).

The three tractor joints are at the top and bottom of the axel tube and then a stationary place on the frame (I fabbed up a mount on the cross-memeber).

I tried to find the write up we modeled mine after, but no dice.

Walrus titties,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts