Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking everywhere trying to find a 180 degree thermostat for my '98 V10 but to no avail. Napa and Schucks here didn't even have a thermostat listed. The local dealer could only get the stock 195 degree one and that was $80 anyway. Can someone help me out?? My Jet Stage 2 is on the way and I need the new thermostat! Thanks.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i dont know about the thermostat, but even regular parts, the after markets (pep boys, kragen) dont have. i was looking for a timing cover and oil pan gasket and they didnt have a listing for it. if you find one, be sure to share with us.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Why dont you go back over to dodge and have them pull the stock 195 t-stat for the V10 and then have them pull the stock 195 t-stat for the 318/360 and see if they are the same, you may get lucky, then if they are you can just cruise over to napa and pick up the 180 t-stat, i got my 180 t-stat from napa and a gasket for under 7 dollars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I actually did find a place online that claimed they had the thermostat for the v10, so I ordered it, pulled out my 195 last weekend and found it is completely different than what they sent me. The new one doesn't fit, and according to the manual I have, it looks like the thermostat for the v8's. The thermostat for the v8's at the dealer are only $5, for the v10, it's $80, so they are definately different.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jet makes a thermostat. I would assume they make one for yur truck if they sell the chip. Although I'm sure you'll pay more for it than a stock thermostat. Try Summit Racing 1-800-230-3030

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Jet does not list a t-stat for any V10.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the http://www.manciniracing.com page and couldn't find anything for the V10, I emailed them so maybe they can tell me where I can find one. I'll keep you guys posted if I find one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
you know that useless knowledge that takes up brain matter and seems to never be there when it's needed...
anyway, your stant (#1 mfr of t-stats in usa) number is 13009 or 16309 carded. the 13009 is just the stat in a box with no gasket. this is the part number you need to take to the local parts store. have the parts guy pull that part and get the old number off the box. should be 33195, 35195, 38195,etc. see the pattern? the first two numbers are the "body" code. the last three numbers are the effective center of temperature. for your truck, the stock temp was 190-199. your looking for the same body code on a 180 stat, ie 35195<=>35180 for temp change.
i still can't believe that your dealer wants 80 bucks for a part that jc whitney sells for 2.49. is it possible that the parts guy was looking at the housing for the stat? that would be about right, moneywise.
enjoy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, but in defense of my theory, I had the stock thermostat out and it looks drastically larger and more complex than any traditional thermosat I've seen before. I'll look into that though. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I solved the problem. After e-mailing everyone I could, I finally was pissed and e-mailed parts america and told them that the part they listed for the v10 didn't fit, they apologized quickly and gave me the correct part number. Its a stant 14539, but I just found out that this is a 195 degree thermostat for Ram V10's, they want $19.99 for it. Here's a picture of what it actually looks like so everyone can stop saying it is the same $2 one as the V8's.

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/STN/14539.jpg

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
geez, that is definately a wierd one. that part number doesnt seem to have a code that can be translated to get a lower temp.

·
Registered
267 Posts
confusing. i was at my old store for some other parts and checked their stant book and it showed the 13009 for your truck, which with the old 3 number was a 300 190. dang mopars. different code than the gm stuff. anyway, the 300 180 looks exactly the same. i am curious about the size difference though.
so, through the magic of parts identification... check this out

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/STN/14538.jpg
looks real dang close, huh. same housing, same body code "145", then the stant 3, then 8 for 180. you could even get a 160 if you wanted. 14536 for 160.

tell me you didn't see it coming...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Genius!! I'm ordering one as we speak. The idiots at Parts America just said, "No, we don't have anything but the 195 for your pickup". Thanks Again!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts