Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone would know where i can find a good (but cheap) differential lock for my 97 1500 4x4

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i live in massachusettes...(sorry forgot to add the little info)....does this place have a website??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am not sure what i have back there...i am also trying to find out exactly what i have back there right now...it is all stock though...i want it to be completely locked, not limited slip...

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
if you drive it on the street, you dont want it to be completely locked(spool). you will wear the tires down before you even pay the bill. a good comprimise is a detroit locker, or if you wanna spend the money, ARB air locker.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
a spool will lock the tires at the same speed. when you turn, the inside tire spins slower than the outside. the locker allows a certain amount of turn(s) then locks it like a spool. a limited slip will allow some slip, more than a locker.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would go w/ the Detriot Locker. They are extremly strony, reliable, and only cost 3 or 4 dollars depending on where you buy from. My friend had a old toyota and i finally convenced him to just get a locker in the back cause i was tired of having to pull him out. Now the truck rarely gets stuck and it now serves for pulling his dad's boat in and out of the lake, do to the fact one wheel won't burn out like his dad's Ford F250 will (even in 4wd).

But a locker is a lot better in the long run, pay more for the locker, or get the spool and be paying more for tires the entire time you have it.

Just my 2 lil cents. Tell me how it goes.

Dual exhaust w/ glass packs
31x10.50R15 Mud Tires
No Lift
Marron/White

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i'll tell yah one thing...it won't be cheap! for a detroit locker, you're lookin' at least $500 for parts, then another $500 for installation...and depending on what condition your differential is in, you may need a rebuild kit! If you plan on getting your R&P's changed, it would be a good idea to do the lockers at the same time to save on labor charges...

·
Registered
174 Posts
what i was tring to say on my last reply was, and now that i have read it it didn't mean any sense even after i editted it was, it will cost you about 3 to 4 hundred dollars more all together for the locker, than with the spool. But if you do like i did and do it yourself, (did it for the friend with the toyota, or find someone that will do it for you, that knows what they are doing, will also save a bundle there also. All it is is following instructions, knowing our parts, having the right tools, and having a free day or two.

It's just what I did.

Dual exhaust w/ glass packs
31x10.50R15 Mud Tires
No Lift
Marron/White

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I am pretty sure that they make a Powertraxx for the rear end, which would be more economical, and would unlock when going into corners. But I would say save up and get the detroit, it is worth the money as it is stronger.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i love my detroit locker, but it was not cheap. i had it instaled along with my gears, and this is the best way, if you are replacing the gears also. if you have one done then the other, you will pay twice for the labor. if you do the whole deal you will spend a grand on the rear. if you want the front done also go ahead and write down another grand. to save money you can have the back and front done sepratly, but take the front drive shaft out, just in case.

and HaWiiLuVeR said the locker will let go in a curve, but that is not intirely true. if you are on the gas at all, the locker will be locked, if you release the gas or coast the locker will let go. so, if you power threw a curve it will bark the inside tire. i have found this will hapen more than not, but as long as you do not blast arond curves you are ok.

OR, if you do not care about your tires, and wat a spool do not waste the money.lincon locker = weld the spider gears. i know a couple of people who have done it, but it is not on dialy drivers. same concept as the spool, just saves the $100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts