Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until SCCowboy, I hadn't ever heard of the z69, and just yesterday cruising down US1 I saw a Chevy Avalanche z66. I'd never seen/even heard of that one before. Could anyone tell me the bare-bone differences between those 3? Not desperately important, just curiosity.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
well i know the z-69 thing of curtis was just meant to be funny. (assuming everyone here knows about the good ole 69) :bigthumb: :silly: :shoot: :burning:

·
Registered
811 Posts
well Z69 is a joke. went down to the sticker man and he made them up for me. as for the Z66 that is only a package that comes on the avalanch and it stands for the rear shocks are electric controled (i think not for sure). and as for the Z71's there shocks are different from the normal 4x4 gm and they also come with skid plates.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
curtis what u know about the the good ole 69 :p:

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, then someone around here must have the same humor as you, because I swear I've seen a z69 here as well... Thought that was legit. Oh well, thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
We have a local guy in an 80 something Camaro Z28 and on his rocker panels, iroc style, it says "Z69". :roll:

·
Registered
46 Posts
those numbers are codes used by GM. if you have ever seen a price guide by consumer reports or edmunds.com, you will see what i'm talking about. z71 is off road package, z66 is premium on road suspension package, NP8 is autotrac transfer case, z82 is HD trailering equipment package, LM7 is 5.3 liter SFI engie, etc. I do not know how it came to be that the stickers are on the side of the truck though.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
kinda took the words of out my mouth there. pretty muchj z71 is the off road package and z66 is an on road package. you can only get the z66 on the avalanche

·
Registered
811 Posts
no the Z66 is a 4wd but only on those ugly suv trucks. lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
No, sorry, Z66 is the towing/on road package on the 2WD Avalanches. All 4WD Avalanches are "Z71" equipped. The Z71 package is the offroad package. They all have skid plates, bilstein shocks, and I believe an Air Filtration system for the A/C. Some models, like the Tahoe, you get some body cladding BS and stuff. IMHO the Z71 tahoe is a total waste in cash.

·
Registered
448 Posts
correct me if im wrong fellas, but i have seen 3 different z71 avalanches, with the stickers, do they make a like "2500" avalanch, because all of these had different rims than the avalanc, but the three diff ones had the same rims. do they make a z71 avalanc?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The z71 option is available on the 1500 silverados, 1500 Avalanche, Tahoe, and 1500 Suburban.

On the suburbans and tahoes it also comes with special bumpers, different fog lights, and a different roof rack

I dont think it is a waste of money just because of the skid plates. that makes it worth it to me

The option is not available in the 2500 models but they basically come stock with it, therefore, it is not a option.

The z66 is only available on the 1500 Avalanche. It is a handling package for the 2wd ones. It comes with different shocks and stuff like that

·
Registered
146 Posts
On 2002-09-05 20:46, 98sub454 wrote:
The z71 option is available on the 1500 silverados, 1500 Avalanche, Tahoe, and 1500 Suburban.

On the suburbans and tahoes it also comes with special bumpers, different fog lights, and a different roof rack

I dont think it is a waste of money just because of the skid plates. that makes it worth it to me

The option is not available in the 2500 models but they basically come stock with it, therefore, it is not a option.

The z66 is only available on the 1500 Avalanche. It is a handling package for the 2wd ones. It comes with different shocks and stuff like that

You can get Skid plates as an option without getting the Z71. I did. My tahoe is a hell of a lot better than a Z71 Tahoe and I've spent less money. If you think the whatever thousand dollar Z71 option is worth it for some skid plates, can I sell you my Bilsteins? They come with the Z71 package, I think 3 grande is about fair. You?

Avalanches ARE available with the Z71 option. They are also available as a 2500 model meaning they got the 6 liter and tranny, etc.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
you can get the 6.0 in the 1500 Avalanche.
the 2500 comes standard with it and has the 8.1 as an option

The z71 option is so expensive on the tahoes because of what i said before, they have painted bumpers, the front is totally different, different fog lights, and also have a better roof rack. thats where the price comes from.

I never said those bilsteins were good, they are crap.
but the shocks that the non z71s come with are even worse. i think it is worth it because of the bumpers it is like the sport package on a dodge

·
Registered
46 Posts
On the Silverados, the Z71 package is a $760 option, and theres a 500 dollar discount for getting the Z71 package
Also, take a close look at a Z71 tahoe window sticker, it has a multi fuel engine, i dont know what is diferent about it can also run on methanol, and something else I dont remember. They also come with color matched bumpers (with round fog lights), fender flares, door handles, and 17" wheels.
Now what i want to know is, i have seen Z71 off roads, and i have seen Z71's that dont say off road, what is up with that?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Holy crap. Just look at the chevy website. The 1500 Avalanche is not available with the 6.0 liter, its either 4.7 or 5.3. If you want colored bumpers you can get it cheaper for a Tahoe aftermarket. The Tahoe Z71 is a rip off.

Now if you've seen Z71 emblems without the "offorad" I dunno what to tell you. Maybe they're aftermarket stickers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a "Z71" without the "offroad" Before the diffence was different shocks between the Z71 and Z71 offroad. In 2000 or 2001 they dont make "Z71" anymore just "Z71 Offroad"

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
maybe you should look at the website too. They never offered the 4.8 in the avalanche. the avalanche is built on a suburban chassis and has the same options as the suburban. Also you cant even get the 6.0 in the avalanche anymore, they only offer the big block in the 2500s. that makes you even more wrong than i was doesnt it. Maybe someone else need to take their own advice and go look at the website

Organizations:
Potential Frame waxer
The a$$ocation for helping a certain someone violate "TOS" one more time!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts