Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I just completed the first day of a two day install on my body lift (should have taken one day). The spacers, bolts, and auto shift linkage drop bracket (except for the welding) were done in about 3 hours(one hour spent in the rain doing the linkage drop bracket, it doesnt rain under the truck). I havent decided what I will do with the rear bumper ad hitch yet. I have put on a bunch in the past, no big deal, they are usually easy, but when it was time to put the front bumper back on, what was I thinking, it was going to be easy, yea right. I fussed with that da#n thing for four freakin hours, I couldnt get the gap tight on the passenger side. The drivers side in good but the passenger side is about a .5 inch lower. Well I got it pretty da#n even now and I think my brush guard wiil make it less conspecious. But if anyone knows a trick to aligning it please let me know. If it werent for this the lift would have been real easy and complete ion one day, but now I have to go back a torque all my bolts down and doulble check cables and hoses and finish lengthening the gas tank filler lines. Any advice will be most apreciated.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i always found when putting bumpers back on cars and trucks is to snug the bolts down. not all the way just enough to hold it up with out shifting back down. then find a block of wood or something that you can use as a gauge. aligning it front to back is easy, actually for the most part if you pull it all the way forward it will line up fine. but i think your talking about the bumper to fender gap and bumper to grille/headlight gap. use a spacer that is the correct size. wood works good . you can use masking tape to stick them to the aligning points. lift the bumper up til your spacer hits the grille,headlight, and fender. if your good or have access to an air ratchet you can do it by yourself, if not you have someone hold it up while you tighten it. for the back bumper, since you have a hitch and dont plan on using the bumper for towing. remove the 2 brackets that are bent on an angle, the remaining 2 that are attached to the bumper flip the left to right and right to left. tighten the bolts down and attach it to the truck, the bumper is now back inline with the body.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, I tried this but aparently it doesnt work on my year model. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mark, see my post under the other PA body lift topic, I told them about the crappy bumper brackets on the front, I messed with them for a few hours and all I accomplished was making my arms very tired from holding the bumper. They arent equal and dont work very well. Goodluck

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, no doubt they suck. This sounds like a job for super fabrocation man and his trusty sidekick plasma cutter!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a trailmaster bodylift and had to grind down the front bumper brakets to get them to work. This might be the way to go for you.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think what finally helped me was a few cracks with a BFH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts