Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am very new to 4x4 and i got hooked on it when i went mudding with my friend in his 88 chevy.i was wondering what type of truck to get? i know it is a matter of opinion but i have no clue. i do want something with a solid frt end or the ford independent frt end. just give me some yrs and types. just has to be a truck and what to look for thx!

G

·
gumby said:
hello i am very new to 4x4 and i got hooked on it when i went mudding with my friend in his 88 chevy.i was wondering what type of truck to get? i know it is a matter of opinion but i have no clue. i do want something with a solid frt end or the ford independent frt end. just give me some yrs and types. just has to be a truck and what to look for thx!
well for something cheap to beat on and repair, a 73-87 chevy is what to get

for off road fuel injection is nice to have so that makes 87 the best year, if you plan on larger than a 35" tire then you need to find a 1 ton chevy from 77-87 or get any 73-87 and bolt in 1 ton axles

ford and dodge trucks cost a little more but are also good choices, you want a solid axle period, no ifs, dodges if you get a 1/2 ton you will want to upgrade the axles.

77-79 ford is another good choice, they look tough and are not all that bad on price for parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the info. i was wondering about carb or fuel injection thx for clearing that answer up. so solid axle all the way i will keep that in mind. i just like u said wanted something cheap to play with that doesnt get expensive to lift.

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
If you want something cheap, look at the Jeep Cherokees. They are a dime a dozen, solid axles, mods are plentiful,easy to work on, and parts are fairly cheap. The only downside is the uni-body but you can work around it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was considering those but i need dual purpose as in i need a truck to haul stuff at times and this won't be my daily driver just mudder. i was wondering will 3/4 ton dodge ram work and is there a big difference in length of vehicle like standerd cab or ex cab?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I say anything 4x4 will work as long as you have the right tires and the right gears....as i've found out slowly but surely. I do know that those long wheelbases can get you hung up really easy...I'd say go for the short bed.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
depending on what you are hauling the standard cab can haul more than an extended cab.

daily driving the ex cab is smoother due to the longer wheel base.

offroad in tight spots the shorter wheel base is best. i.e. regular cab short bed.
it is also better backing a trailer up as it is easier to handle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
gumby said:
i was considering those but i need dual purpose as in i need a truck to haul stuff at times and this won't be my daily driver just mudder. i was wondering will 3/4 ton dodge ram work and is there a big difference in length of vehicle like standerd cab or ex cab?
Ever heard of a Jeep Comanche?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts