Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it all comes down to the solid front axle...easy to lift and cheaper...or the pricy IFS...expensive to lift. I have owned both a ford and a dodge...personally I like the dodges largest engine.....

Brett

·
Registered
340 Posts
Shoot if you are looking for something to last a long time. You need a Dodge 2500 Cummings Diesel. At 100,000 miles those things are just getting broken in.. From what I hear. Hope this helps.. DDGETHS

·
Registered
807 Posts
i dont know why you wanna go that fast all the time but you can go 95 in a ram no problem. my truck cruises at 95 the same as it does at 65. once you go faster than that though you have to push it. rams are pretty reliable too. the engines will run forever, just keep an eye on the transmissions if you go with the auto.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry, I only suggested the diesel cause of the speed and for the mileage you ask. I have had no problems with my 360. Actually quite pleased with the performance and power that it has. I have never had any problems with my automatic tranny although I have heard of plenty of people having troubles with theirs. Hope this helps... Although I don't know or like that IFS. Just my 2 cents... DDGETHS

·
Registered
174 Posts
I, at one time drove a dodge ram flat bed, that was stick and geared so low that it only did 55mph and 60mph red lining it. But the V8 is great on it and driving a stick isn't that bad in traffic, considering i had to shift in 5 mph increments, plus it gets to be a reflex.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If your looking to spend $14-15K you may as well give up the diesel idea, unless you want a 8+ yr old one. The cheapest you can get one new for a reg. cab, 4x4 runs you about $32,000. Buy the way have you rode in a new diesel truck lately, they are very quiet inside, even with the windows down they aren't bad. Now outside thats another story, but I don't care because I'm not usally outside it. The guys in the lowered rice rocket Hondas next to me don't enjoy eating diesel fumes and listening to it clattering away but hey thats their problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I drive a 5 speed ram 1500 in BAY AREA traffic every day. I love it. However, I enjoy activly driving my truck. And like it was said, it does become a reflex. To the point that once you drive something else (when I driv ethe wifes jeep) I find myself looking for the clutch at stoplights. It just doesn't bother me at all. But each person is a bit different. On the good side, when th clutch needed replaced I was out the door for $700. Thats with the shop charging $80 an hour labor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the looks category obviously go to dodge. the offroad capabilities alos go to dodge thanks to the live fornt axle, which is cheaper and easier to work on, and is ALOT stronger than IFS... well looks like dodge wins 2-0 baby, have fun

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So do you realize that your asking which one is better all around "Ford vs. Dodge", on a website with a majority of Dodge owners? Anyway, I think I just answered my own question...I do prefer my '98 over the '02 though. I've also topped out my truck at about 110, so 95 shouldn't be much of a problem.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Dodge Pro's
Solid front axle
easy to lift
great looking

Con's
Sorry to say it but worst powertrain of the big three. The 360 has seen better days and at 245 horse stock its a dog. The GM V-8's will just flat smoke it. I will probably get slammed for saying it but its fact. To get your 360 up to Chevy potential you need to do some modifications.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I drive a Ford so naturally you would think I would say to get one, but I dont buy into the whole Ford vs Dodge thing (Chevy is a different story, however :p: ) I guess a lot of comes down to personal preference and whether you like (does anyone?) the IFS system. I am currently living in buffalo where there are bass-ackward stop lights every 20 feet and shifting doesnt bother me. Heck, I cant remember the last time I even thought about it. I can say when I have to drive my girlfriends or mom and dads vehicles I always try to plant my foot on the clutch at the reds. I prefer manual all-around, its a heck of a lot more efficient, in my opinion (and I think in fact too). Happy buying!

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
all i can say is if you dont go dodge your crazy...and oh yea the whole thing about dodge being slow lol...before i got my lift i wasted plenty of chevy's but now its tough with 36's so ya know

16.5x12 Weld Super Single II's
Flowmaster Exhaust

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Doubtful if your Dodge wasted any of the new Chevy's, numbers don't lie and if you did then they weren't racing. But I will agree with you in the fact that the Dodge is the coolest of the big three.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The newer chevys are faster than dodge's. The vortec engine is a hot running engine, just look at how many rpms they can run without redlining. IMO, a truck should have a good torque rating at a low RPM. A very intilligent Engineer once told me that an engine only has so many RPMs to it's life. Which is true, Diesels run at lower RPMs than a gas engine, and they run a lot longer. This is not the only reason, but I am sure it doesnt hurt. Dodge has a higher power curve at a lower end. It is hard to rate a dodge vs. Chevy, because they are good at different things. If you want a fast truck, a Chevy isnt bad. One thing that you really can't disagree on, is that the trannys in Chevy sure last longer. If you want a tough powerfull truck, you cant go wrong with dodge. I am sure many will disagree with me, but I just thought I would share my thoughts :):

·
Registered
464 Posts
IF the little honda rice boys didn't like the smell/sounds of the mighty Cummins then they shouldn'ta stopped beside you huh DieselHrs? :):

But either way, like you said... F 'em.

-Chris

·
Registered
807 Posts
ive raced and beaten plenty of V8 equipped chevys, new and old. my truck can break 33 inch M/T's loose on almost any surface. all i have done to it is a flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust. maybe its the 4:10's. but i agree, chevy trannys are alot stronger that dodges. once i hit 36,000 miles a shift kit will be going in to help it shift a little better.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
well with my history of Dodge, I would say go with the Dodge... this may surprise some of you that know my story but all my other Dodge/Mopar vehicles in the past have been good, I just got a very sour one this time around... but I say Dodge, even though its a solid front it really does not ride all that bad and if you ask me doesnt feel any worse than the IFS chevys. Now granted I am on stock springs with a 100lbs plus hanging on the front and 285 tires... she actually rides pretty smoth... almost TOO smooth! :):

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dodge, if your considering a 4x4. Best looking, most durable. At least as far as front suspesion goes on a 4x4. WAY less parts/complexity that Ford or Chevy. Straigt from axle with coils, rides great, flexes great, and is bulletproof. And it sits up high like a real 4x4 should. Get the 360 though. My dad has a 318 ext. cab 1500 4x4, and it is dog slow, I hate to say. And that is with a few mods and stock 3.92's. WAY too much truck for that little motor.

If you go with a 2wd, get the Chevy. Better gas mileage and more power. And they both have IFS, so you lose the best part of the Dodge when you go 2wd. If you could only get a Dodge 4x4 with the older Vortec 5.7 or the new 6.0 and 4L80E that would be perfect.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have raced tons of chevy trucks. New, old, and brand new. I have beaten them every time. Although I do have a V10. It is faster than the V8's but if you get a V10, you'll never lose.

·
Registered
896 Posts
True. But I assumed we were talking 1/2 tons here.

And I dunno, I think stock for stock, a 6.0 Chevy vs. a V10 dodge might be somewhat close. I think the 8.2L Chevy would hand the Dodge it's rear.

Asfar as diesels go, I don't care how good the Duramax looks on paper, I'd take a Cummins anyday.
In fact my dream Dodge is a 2500 ext. cab shortbed with a Cummins and auto tranny. I just love the way those things sound. You think you hear an 18 wheeler coming down the road, and you look up and see a Ddoge pickup. I love it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts