Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of going with a 3" Skyjacker and 35's...But only going 3" I don't really want to get the whole kit. I was thinking of just getting the coils, dual shock kit and a rear add-a-leaf (if necessary).

For tires I want to go with a 35x12.50x16.5 I'm thinking BFG Mud-Terrain A/T's or Swamper SSR's. Also, any idea how well the General MT's are?

I've heard that with the cummins it's hard to keep tires on the front because it's so heavy??

·
Registered
81 Posts
hey as far as the tire wear, alighnment and tire rotation are the key, I usually rotate my offroad tires about 500 miles early any how they do seem to last longer that way

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
With my last set, I had a harder time keeping the rears from wearing even. There is so much torque, and so little weight on the rear end, whenever it is wet outside you spin out going around corners, or up hills sometimes too. Those tires lasted almost 20,000 miles, but a better tire should get you at least 35,000. True, I didn't rotate them as often as I should have, and that was probably my biggest downfall.
As long as you keep them rotated and keep the pressure up, you'll be alright. Don't worry about power either, the cummins will push a bigger tire no problem.

Nick.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd go with the BGF-Mud terrains. The swampers will wear fast under a cummings. I have BFG's on my cummings they do very well. Couldn't tell you how long they last, they were on the truck when I got it. But I have put 12,000 miles on them and they are still pretty good. They were not brand new when I got it. Just remember to check air pressure at least once a month and rotate reg.

96' Dodge 2500, Cummings Diesel, white.
84' Dodge Ram, 6" lift, 35" swampers, Dark blue.
97' Dodge Dakota, 3" lift, Dark green. FOR SALE. Make Offer!!!
91' Quarter Horse, blaze face, bay.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My problem has been keeping the pressure down.

The MTRs are rated for 3125 when fully inflated, and with so little weight in the back, at anything over 30psi (out of 50), and they ride like bricks and wear out the center of the tread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts