Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so next week I will be putting on my 4.5" Skyjacker lift and taking off my 2.5" lift. One week later I will be getting custom National springs for the rear (6").

I am going to be running 38" tires and the 4.5" alone will not cut it. So its either a body lift or cramming a 2" spacer up front. The reason I need to know now is so that if I do a spacer up front I will have them make 8" springs for the rear. Thanks in advance for all the input.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
not a big fan of spacer or body lifts so have you thought about the new 7 inch coils. they should be out by now. if you've already bought the 4 1/2 you could just sell it to me

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a 2500 dodge ram and I am not selling the lift I just bought 2 days ago. So should I run a 3" body lift or cram 2" spacers up front. I am worried about running spacers because of pulling the axle to far back. I have an adjustable track bar and will get a longer pitman. Biginuf can you tell me how you did it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
The first question my my mind is why 38s? Do you really need a tire that big?

With that out of the way is this a gas or diesel truck? If it is gas get the diesel spring and see how much more that will lift the truck up. You can either block up the rear or get bigger springs there.

The front will be an issue because of the arm lenght and the pinion angle. I am having a pinion angle issue on my diesel with the 4.5 inch lift.

You may have to go for the body lift if it is a gas truck. I don't think you can run them on the diesel.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx bill yeah its a gas V8 but I got the D45 coils. Right now I have the D25 coils and they give me about 3" of lift so I am expecting around 5" - 5.5" with the D45 coils. Why run 38's?? Why not? Why are you running 35's? You don't have to you know... I like the looks and The 35's are rubbing off road and since I am going up again I might as well go all the way this time. THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!!! :):

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I noticed that you're worried about spacers due to pushing the axle back? The amount the axle moves back is based on the amount of lift, and the length of the control arms.

So since the extra 2" of lift would come from either spring or spacer, it shouldn't matter to the geometry.

Now, running a 3" body lift will definitely not affect how far back the axle sits, which may be what you meant.

I'd personally go with the springs. I'd rather have spring than body lift, but body lift is a lot cheaper... And at those heights, you're probably not too worried about lifting the bed off the frame-rails... :):

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I am returning my D45 coils to 4WP as well as the shocks. I am ordering some 6.5" coils from National Spring. That way I won't have to deal with a spacer or a body lift.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Did you get the standard arms or the flex? You may need the flex to help adjust the front end. I way end up changing to them to get my front end where I want it.

I almost went 37s instead of 36's With where my front coils ride I could fit 37s no problem. My next set of tires may be the soon to be release ProComp X 37x13-16's
I figure by the time I need tires they will have been out for a while.

The only reason I ask about he tires is that I saw a 1500 with a 5.5 kit and a 3 inch body lift that had 38.5s and they guy was having tire bounce problems from balance and size issues. I guess there were issues at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
502 Posts
unless I am mistaken you can adjust the lenght on the flex at least a certain amount which may help to center thing up. I would talk to a few people about them before jumping in since I have heard of a couple people having vibration issues with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts