Off Road Vehicles banner

what size lift for 35s?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JasonB 
#1 ·
Unless you want to go with 315/75/16 (or 17) on a 8" wide wheel you can not fit a 35" tire with a 3" lift without rubbing. I used to run 315/75/16 on 16x8 wheels with a 3" lift and would only rub right when I got to full steering lock, and that rubbing was minor.

The problem is with the backspacing of 15" wheels. It is less than the 16's and thus the wheels stick out farther and the tires then rub the fenders quite a bit.

#2 ·
I have a 98 Ram QC with three inches of lift. I run 315/75/16 Big-O XTs with slight rubbing on hard turns (only on drivers side though) I'm thinking that maybe stiffer coil springs up front will solve that problem. It's not bad though, it only shines the black plastic fender well.

#4 ·
3+3 is a bit much. 3 will clear without problems.

I'm running 315/75R16 MTRs on 16x8 wheels, and only had minor rubbing when stuffed and turning.

I've since fixed that with springs that were designed to hold the weight of my front bumper (300 lbs heavier than the stock one).

#7 ·
What do you want to do with your truck? Rock crawling, mud bogging, street cruising? How much do you really intend to flex? Jason admittedly rubs enough with his 3+3 total of 6" with his 35's to bend sheet metal and he majorly flexes his truck (just look at his avatar). I rock crawl and therefore flex my suspension every time I go out. I ran 35" tall, 15.50 inch wide tires on a 12" width rim with around 8.5" of lift and it was the perfect setup. I got rid of 3" of it and now run 33" tall tires on the same rim, no rub. It's all in the type of driving you do as well as the width of the tire and rim. If you are a street cruiser and run an 8" wide rim then you could get away with 3" and 35's, but if you want to really use your truck leave plenty of room to stuff those tires.

33/14.50-16.5 Swamper SSR's
Weld 16.5 X 12 Super Single Wheels
Line-X Bedliner

<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.cardomain.com/id/punkineater" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

#8 ·
I got my truck about two months ago and I offroad it quite a bit, but I don't do any rock crawling, mostly just shallow mudding, hill climbing, mellow stuff like that. My 33's (305/70R16) on no lift don't rub much at all for the kind of stuff I do. I'm basically trying to figure out the least expensive way to put 35's (315/75R16) on my truck without using body lift and still being able to offroad it. Hope that explains it a little better. Thanks for your help.
Dustin

#9 ·
I think you'll be happiest with the 5" Skyjacker or 5.5" Fabtech. I know they both are more than you want to spend, but hell we all eventually spend the money anyway right? :):

33/14.50-16.5 Swamper SSR's
Weld 16.5 X 12 Super Single Wheels
Line-X Bedliner

<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.cardomain.com/id/punkineater" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

#10 ·
this is true... I love the way TUNIS's truck looks, and I have the exact same one minus the lift. I think he has a 5" skyjacker. Do you know anything about the 2" daystar coil spacers though? I'm thinking about putting those on until I scrape the money together for what really want. I think those will keep my 33's from rubbing anymore. Thanks alot for your help.

#11 ·
I've never had them, but I have had spacers on a past truck and they are a great temporary solution. Others on the board really like them and can give you much more info than I can.

#16 ·
On 2002-05-21 00:33, punkineater wrote:
Jason admittedly rubs enough with his 3+3 total of 6" with his 35's to bend sheet metal and he majorly flexes his truck (just look at his avatar).

I rub mainly becuase of two things. First, the 35" SSRs run large, about 1" taller than most other 35's (35.5" vs typical 34.5") and second, I run 10" wide wheels with 3.75" of backspacing. That makes the tires stick out pretty far and wide.

If I had 8" wheels with more backspacing, the rubbing in the rear would be gone most likely becuase it is the outer lugs that tear up the rear fneders. The fronts would contact the control arms, but that is about it if you keep the swaybar on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.