Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wondered what kind of lockers i should get for the 44 in front and 14 bolt in the back of my burb. most people are saying detroit, but which one? i want to stay cheap, and streetability really isn't that much of a concern. what are you guys running and why did you go with them?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I don't have them yet, but I'd go with Detroit Lockers! :bigthumb: If you've got the funds, you could also get the ARB set-up with front & rear air lockers, air compressor, and in-cab controls. The benefit of the air lockers is that you can turn them off for street driving and on for off road driving!!! :D:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have a Detriot Locker in my 9 1/4 rear on my Dakota.I love it, i cant really tell it is their on pavement. I would recommend a Detriot in the rear and an ARB air locker in the front.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If you want cheap and don't care about streetability at all, then throw a spool in the 14 bolt. It will never unlokc like a Detroit, so you'll always scrub and wet/slick driving will be fun, but its nearly unbreakable and cheap. Otherwise I'd go with a Detroit for strength.

For the front, an ARB will be nice on the street and tight turns offroad you can turn it off, then reengage once you made the turn.

Otherwise a good LSD. If you aren't going hardcore in the big 'ol burb, then you probably don't need a locker in the front. But a Detroit or any fullcase locker will be strongest under the weight of that beast.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had thought about an arb, but why spend the money when i already have manual hubs? i had even pondered spoolin the front and rear both. ain't gonna hurt if the front hubs are unlocked on the street. and as for squirrely in the wet stuff, this ain't the first big bad truck i've owned, i would enjoy it!
once i get the new tcase in i am going to take her out and beat her like a stepchild. if the front holds decent i'll just go with the rear spool, unless the detroit is much cheaper.
thanks for the responses,
later

·
Registered
704 Posts
You're lucky. The Detroit locker for the 14 bolt is only $314. I paid $550 for my rear Detroit for the 9 1/4. My only regret with the Detroit is that I didn't get it sooner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Which version of the Detroit are you talking about, and where did you find it for $314? I am looking at getting one for my GM 14 Bolt rear-end. How much will it affect street driving (in all weather conditions)?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Actually a spool doesn't act much worse than a detroit on the road. A spool is much much cheaper and the best for traction.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
==> which troit are you talking about for 314? i had to bs my way into getting a drop in for 325 when i got my lift from 4 Wheel Parts. i did also get the shocks and steering arm, but had to pay for those. managed to get the brakelines free plus shipping because they had a hold up on my credit card and didn't send it out the same day like promised.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you look in mags like 4wheeloffroad on the full page ads for the out of state shops I have seen the 14 bolt Detroit locker listed for $314. Plus, if you live out of their state you save on sales tax and if they have deals on shipping you can really luck out.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
well I have a question... if he doenst care about streetable.... and wants the " CHEAPEST "... wouldnt that be to weld the spiders? I ..cough cough... read an article on the first page of ... cough .. cough... http://www.coloradok5.com .. cough... oh geeze did I say that???? that tell you how to weld the spiders and MANY people have done it and would do it again. I am going to do that to my truck later.. worst case if you dont like it is you replace the spiders......
my $1.38 comment...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 3/4 Chevy 4x4 and I put a Geniune Gear Quik Lock locker in the front axle. It's the same thing as the Detroit EZ Locker. I run 36inch Hummer tires, soon to be 35inch Boggers. I have hammered on it so many times and it hasn't failed me yet. That includes climbing creek banks that were hard and cutting the wheel all the way. Never broke. I only run my truck in the mud, and climbing out of muddy creek banks. I'm not a rock crawler so I don't know how it would hold up in that terrain. But it is a solid piece. Also its available at a great price.
It's very easy to install too. It's a drop in type.

Later,
Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have a power trax in the rear,(92 yj) it has proven to be quite dependable. it is similar to the ez locker,and lock right, but much quieter. they are much easyer to install because you dont have to take out carrier on many installations. 4:10 gears or ring gears that are bigger in dia. will have to remove carrier posssibly. power trax is more expensive than ez or lock right, but much quieter.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ARB up front, Detroit at the back.! Yeah baby..........
Why you ask? Cuz they were there! I had the coin. ARB ran me $400, (no compressor) Detroit about $200. Got it in a package deal 4:10's front & rear with the locker and and a tru-trak for the front $800. I resold the tru-trak and got the ARB.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
detroit in the rear is the best for the $$ ARB is more $$$.. ez lockers and true-tack and similar designs breack.. i know from breaking them

·
Registered
147 Posts
i am running a 44 in the front and a 12 bolt in the back of my gmc and i have detroit front and back ... love them but on the street kinda suck and they are about .. $500 for each more of less

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got 44/front and 10 bolt/rear and am goin to put spool in rear first and probably in front later. They are cheap and very strong . never heard anyone breakin one. I traded my 94 camaro for this truck and only use the streets to get to the mud and rocks. If I cared about streetability I would've kep the car.

·
Registered
962 Posts
How bad is a spool really. It would seem like you tires would screech a little in the turns but has anybody had any experiece with this. Will a spool drive you crazy in town on your way to the trails??

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
a locker will get to you a little, but a spool will be worse. i would not o with a spool, but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Slap a spool in the front. With the hubs unlocked you shouldn't feel a change in the road manners of the vehicle. If you are going to be towing heavy loads behind it, I would go with an ARB in the rear, or if all you want is a vehicle for off road use, just weld the spider gears.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts