Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 2WD dodge Ram, 3" spring lift, rough country steering stabilizer, Running 33" tires on 15x8 Rims and various interior mods. i'm really interested in doing gear work, but i'm not sure where to start i live in S. Cali. I'm running stock gears now, i do tow a boat and sea-doos quite often during the summer but not the winter months. What suggestions can you give? Thanks

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Where in So cal? I could recommend a few good shops if you need some. I would say either 4.10's or 4.56 but it all depends how heavy that boat is and how much highway you drive. By the way I live in San Diego.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would choose 4.10's for that application. 4.56's would work great in town but on the highway they wouldn't be the best choice. If you do highway driving on a regular basis i say get 4.10's.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i would go with a 3.92, or 4.10 at the most. i rune 35's with 4.10's. my buddy runs 4.56 with 35's buthe only gets 8 mpg.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you are shure youll never run anything larger than a 33 go ahead and run 4.10's if you ever want to go run a 35's bigger than run a 4.56 set. I ran 4.56 with 285's for a long time, now they were great when I was driving normal(without a towed load), but when I hooked up my bass boat and took it out of overdrive like you are suposed to it really limited my speed to 55 or 60 mph at about 3000 rmp's and that ruff on long trips, really slow, long trips, but you couldnt knok the pulling power. Now that I have 35's its the best of both worlds thats is towing power and highway speed with no loss of torque or power and I havent even got the programer for my speedometer which will improve the shifting of the automatic tranny.

·
Registered
969 Posts
One other thing, if its a manual then definitely get 4.10's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think 4.10 gears seem to be what everyone is thinking, okay, sounds good to me, but now where do i go to have the work done? i will only be running 33's, and i usually drive less than 5 hours when i go on vacation with the boat and ski. total weight pulling is about 3500lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts