Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I need to rebuild the limited slip in my 97 ram 1500. When I turn left and hammer on it the tire's squell just fine. When I turn right and hammer on it the rear end jurks or feels like wheel hop. If I light em up headed straight it locks both wheels together just fine. It only acts up when I turn right, and give it a little throttle. How hard is it to rebuild one?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sounds like it's working fine, they are "limited" for a reason.. :):

But it's a track-loc, from dana.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If I recall correctly, they come with Auburn units which are not rebuildable. As mentioned above, yours sounds just fine, It's limited slip, not a locker or spool. :):

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
the factory LSD is a Dana Trac-Loc

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Well my trucks rear end l/s only does about a half turn before it locks the other wheel in.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
trac lock (garbage lockers) lsds abr great on factory trucks, but once you start going up in tire size you can kiss the clutches goodbuy and hello open diffs. i think 33 and down are ok, but my buddy with 2500 dana 60 wore his out very quickly with 37" goodyears.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes, I agree, LSD's suck! Just get a rear Detroit or Powertraxx locker, and you will get GOOD wheel hookup. Plus you won't be just a 2wheel drive (one in the front, one in the rear). Why waste time and money on rebuilding something that won't last very long?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Unless you wheel the roody-poo candy ass out of your truck the trac-loc will work fine, just keep the friction additive up to par in the diff fluid and run it till it burns up. Mine works fine with 35 and 6in of lift. No I dont run moab but I do use my truck and have no probs with the trac-loc

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
ive got the factory l/s in mine, but it works kinda funny. it grabs on the street when i power brake or make a turn or something, but the second one of my tires is in the air on a flex, that piece of crap just spins like an open diff.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
hawii, i do not know about up in the air, but if you are in a mud hole (my specialty) and you find yourself in a sillilar situation, you can apply a little break. this will fool the l/s and it will act like both tires have traction. this works sometimes. with one tire in the air you might still be up.... well you know :p:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts