Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first post didnt go so well. Apparently it didn't post so i am fixing

Anyway i have a 1986 C20, want to go to 4wd.

Which axles preferably used should i be looking for? Chevy of course, but what else would slip under with minimal fiddling.

G

·
what you are going to want is a dana 60, 77-87 chevy axle for the front unless you plan no more than a 35" tire then you can use a 73-77 8 lug dana 44 or 77-87(till 91 in k2500 suburban) 10 bolt 8 lug front, no matter what you will have a pain in doing a swap, be best to get yourself a 4x4 frame, you would want a k2500 or k3500 frame to be able to use your current length rear springs, you will have the 56" springs vs the 1/2 ton 52" springs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So is there a difference in the actual frame between a 2wd vs 4 wd? Or just a pain to install new front suspension? Any links to a good source for identifying a chevy Dana 60 vs others? Gota lead on a set of axles from a 80 chevy. Should I persue them or search more? Again thanks for any help this is all new to me.

G

·
yes the frame is totally different,2wd spring pockets and crossmember in the way, it can be fixed with a bunch of fab work, but far easier to swap frames, the floor of the cab is different too, so you will need a body lift for clearance for the transfer case
easiest way to id a d60 is it doesnt have balljoints, the steering arm has 4 bolts on top, a 10 bolt and dana 44 have a 3 bolt arm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok the guy says the front is a dana 44 front. Wants $400 for the pair front and rear,good deal?
I ain't afraid of a little fab work, a co-worker went from 2wd to 4wd on his 84 burb. So I will be hitting him up for ideas. Also this is going to be a frame-off build,I think thats how its called LOL, you know when you take the whole body off and such.

G

·
since you are already going frame off it would make it so much easier and faster to get a 4x4 frame
8 lug dana 44 front?

if its a 8 lug front then it should come with a 10.5 14 bolt rear if it is a true matching set, the price is about right, a 10.5 rear is about $100 and a 8 lug d44 is 250-300 depending if it is a large hub or small hub

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
outalne94z71 said:
since you are already going frame off it would make it so much easier and faster to get a 4x4 frame
8 lug dana 44 front?

if its a 8 lug front then it should come with a 10.5 14 bolt rear if it is a true matching set, the price is about right, a 10.5 rear is about $100 and a 8 lug d44 is 250-300 depending if it is a large hub or small hub
Yeah this is true. But do you have a frame forsale? Wouldn't one want to find a frame from the same year or there abouts? It's almost easier to find a whole different truck in 4x4.

G

·
i see 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4 frames on craigslist here and there, you can use a frame from 73-87 but for a dana 60 front you will want to watch for a 77-87 1 ton chassis

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I've seen (and bought) the axles off craigslist and some of the local offroad sites...D60s and Corp14s are traded and sold fairly regularly.

Personally, you will likely find it cheaper to buy a 2500 4wd and sell your current truck...the first thing that comes to mind are the military 3/4 ton Chevys that I see every now and again for less than $2k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been watching craigslist and whatever other outlets I can find for axles , frames w/axles and whole trucks. Don't plan to rush into anything but also want to well informed before I jump on something.

Those military trucks have been a wet dream of mine for years. When I find them cheap they usually gone in a heartbeat.

On a side note there isn't a thread here for individual sales? Or am I just not finding it?

G

·
steved said:
the first thing that comes to mind are the military 3/4 ton Chevys that I see every now and again for less than $2k.
military chevy trucks were 1 1/4 tons or 1/2 ton k5 blazers not 3/4 ton , the 1 1/4 ton truck had a d60/14b with detroit locker and 4:56 gear, the down side is the carrier needs to be changed to put in a different ratio in that particular 14b

G

·
GoingGoingGone said:
Been watching craigslist and whatever other outlets I can find for axles , frames w/axles and whole trucks. Don't plan to rush into anything but also want to well informed before I jump on something.

Those military trucks have been a wet dream of mine for years. When I find them cheap they usually gone in a heartbeat.

On a side note there isn't a thread here for individual sales? Or am I just not finding it?
if you are on facebook, there may be local mudding/offroad groups with for sale sections for another place to look.
for craigslist i always use searchtempest to cover more area in one search

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Actually, if you want to split hairs they were 1-1/4 ton ON ROAD and 3/4 ton OFF ROAD...but that is still a cilvilian 3/4 ton Chevy.

G

·
steved said:
Actually, if you want to split hairs they were 1-1/4 ton ON ROAD and 3/4 ton OFF ROAD...but that is still a cilvilian 3/4 ton Chevy.
chevy 3/4 ton never came with a d60, only 1 tons had it for chevy unlike dodge and ford that had them with the snow plow package in the 3/4 tons

G

·
the 10 bolt one with auto lockouts is probably from a 81-87(could be 88-91 from a suburban which has better shafts) to match the 9.5 rear laying there, the other one has manual lockouts and could be either a 10 bolt or dana 44, need to see the diff cover, personally i wouldnt use anything less than a dana 60, but if you are only limiting yourself to a 35" tire or less and run spicer non greasable joints in the axle you should be fine with one of those

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Then I'd like to know what the Chevy dealer I worked at had for a plow truck...it was a 3/4 ton mid-80s, dana 60/ 14-bolt.

G

·
steved said:
Then I'd like to know what the Chevy dealer I worked at had for a plow truck...it was a 3/4 ton mid-80s, dana 60/ 14-bolt.
it was probably dealer installed or someone aftermarket like centurion , the factory made no 3/4 with a 60 front, the 10.5 was optional on 81+, generally the 3/4 had the 9.5

1 - 20 of 32 Posts