Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the deck in my truck but I can't get any sound to come out of the speakers. The truck came with the Infinity package. The deck I am trying to put in is Pioneer 740MP MP3 deck. Is there something special I have to do to get the internal amplifiers to turn on. The new deck turns on and everything looks fine but no sound comes out. What's UP

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
There is a choke behind the dash that HAS to have +12VDC to switch it on, it kind of acts like a relay and will not allow signal to pass unless you hook it up. Since we do not have power antennas, take the blue wire off your stereo harness and hook it up with the wire that activates the choke (sorry, forget which wire it is, but you can ask the guys at the dealership if you can look at the FSM in the wiring section, and then just look for the color code, is what I did). Just look for which one of the factory harness wires are not hooked up through the aftermarket adapter plugs, and hit it with +12VDC real quick, and you will know if it is the right one or not. Don't worry, you can't hurt anything in the factory stereo harness if it is the wrong wire, as long as you don't leave it hooked up for long.

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only wire I see that does not go to the new deck is called positive dimmer, everything else gets hooked up. Except there are two wires on their own plug that I don't know what they go to, I thought they were the steering wheel control button wires but maybe they are the relay wires. Anyone else know

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The ones on their own plug are for the steering wheel controls. I have the same setup as yours, and I had the same exact problem as you, the choke had to be turned on. There is one wire in the factory harness that needs the +12VDC to make the system work, trust me...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beast, I do trust you so I will try putting the 12V to the orange wire called positive dimmer. I won't be able to try it until tomorrow due to the wife has me working on some windows. She says I spend too much time on the truck and not the house. Women!! I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't think that it will be the dimmer wire, check out some of the other wires as well, I am sure that there is someone on here who has had the same problem and can just name the wire color off to ya...I currently don't have my Ramin the yard, or I would run outside and get the color for ya...my rig has been at the tranny shop for the past month... *SOB* :(:

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news, I was able to sneak away from the windows for a minute and tried some wires, you were right it wasn't the dimmer wire it was the blue power antenna wire. The new deck is in and made a big difference in the sound. Thanks for all your help Beast. Also do you happen to know how much power the factory Infinity amps put out. I am debating whether to put my amp in for the highs or just use the factory ones. I will be replacing all of the speakers.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Check to make sure your power antenna wire on your new deck is hooked up to the remote wire attached to the factory amp.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way I understand it, and I haven't opened the doors up to find out, but I think that every speaker has it's own amp. I just don't know how much power it is.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
there is an amp on the front 6x9's but the 5.25" in the rear is run off the amp from the amp on the 6x9's. At least that is the way the 98+ rams are.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The factory amps are piggy backed on the speakers themselves, dependent on which year truck you have. Otherwise the factory deck powers them. I would run a separate amp for the mids and highs, and replace all the factory speakers, as they will not last long and cannot handle large wattage applications. They are only rated at like 30 watts max, or something crazy like that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I love my Dodge, but they have the worst factory sound systems, even with the Infinity package. The "piggybacked" amps on the speakers are a horrible idea, and sound too thin. I replaced everything, and I love the sound in mine. I have all Infinity Kappa's all around (6 1/2 seperates in the front, 6 1/2 co-axials in the rears), MTX Powered Thunderform with two 10 under the bench, MTX 40x4 amp under the passanger seat, and Kenwood Excelon CD deck....all for under 2K installed. FYI...add a seperate crossover if any of y'all wanna use the same setup. It'll help cut unwanted frequencies.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced my rear speakers with some Phoenix Gold XS 5 1/4 coaxials but I did not see any piggybacked amps on them. I have also replaced the tweeters in the pillars with some Phoenix Gold XS tweets. So far I have not found any amps but I have not taken the front door speakers out yet, hopefully in the next few days.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cummins, The amps we are referring to are in the speakers you have not removed yet. Your new system should sound pretty sweet. What else are you planning on putting in there?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I bought my new truck I pulled the system out of my old truck. The system consists of Phoenix Gold 6 3/4" components in the front doors with the tweets in the pillars. PG 5 1/4" in the rear door. Both sets of speakers are powered by Phoenix Gold XS2200 50x2 which I had running at two ohms at 100x2 rms. But since PG rates all their stuff low I figure it was running at about 120x2. Then I had the MTX thunderform box under the back seat except I had the two 8ohm subs pulled out and put in two 4ohm MTX 6000 subs. This was powered by an MTX 500D amp which was putting out about 700W to the subs. I know the amp isn't rated that high but the spec sheet I received with it showed it at 620W at 12.5V and I was running at 14.4v to I figure it was at 700W RMS. It was very loud and hit hard. But now my new truck has a tool bin under the back seat and I can't figure out if I wan't to keep the bin and get the JLaudio stealthbox or take the tool bin out and keep the thunderform box. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way all of those power numbers in the previous post were RMS, none of those were Peak numbers.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The JL stealth sounds great. With the bass pointing down it gives a great soundstage. If that is possible in a regular cab truck. I am running mine with a JL monoblock sub amp. With a set of componets running off an additional JL amp. Sounds great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts