Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal. One of the jerks at work (who doesn't four wheel but has "buddies" that do) is talkin smack about the huge hole up at Westvaco Papermill. Sayin there is no way in heck I'm gettin my truck thru the middle of that. He's dead serious and a jerk to boot.

The guys I know who've gone up there only go around the edges and a little towards the middle. One guy made it thru with his Chevy with 33's and no lift, and took some damage (blower motor, heater core, and his auto tranny because water/muck got down his dipstick). Being that I have 6" of lift plus the 3" blocks, and 35's I have alot more ground clearance (probably 7" more) than he did. And I have a manual tranny so no dipstick to worry about.

My question now is, what little stuff do you guys do before hitting a big mud/water hole?

I have to relocate my axle vent from my frame to inside the cabin, it wasn't high enough for the last hole I hit and I sucked water I'm sure. Gonna change that oil tommorow cause I'm off. I'm going to RTV the distributor cap to help waterproof it. I'm thining of making a snorkel for my carb. Other than that I'm really not sure what else needs to be protected / waterproofed. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have a friend that extended his axle vent hose in a very interesting way. He took the coil type air hose (like for air tools) and tapped one into each axle and ran the filters up as high as he wanted to go. It looks pretty trick...and fairly cheap. It keeps the water out though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I've got. I ran the yellow coiled air hose using fitting I got from the hardware store from the stock axle vent location to whereever I wanna run it to.

It looks trick, and people think I have air lockers. I don't have air lockers YET, but they're on the way.

-Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
On 2001-10-23 20:45, 79W-150 wrote:
Ok, here's the deal. One of the jerks at work (who doesn't four wheel but has "buddies" that do) is talkin smack about the huge hole up at Westvaco Papermill. Sayin there is no way in heck I'm gettin my truck thru the middle of that. He's dead serious and a jerk to boot.

The guys I know who've gone up there only go around the edges and a little towards the middle. One guy made it thru with his Chevy with 33's and no lift, and took some damage (blower motor, heater core, and his auto tranny because water/muck got down his dipstick). Being that I have 6" of lift plus the 3" blocks, and 35's I have alot more ground clearance (probably 7" more) than he did. And I have a manual tranny so no dipstick to worry about.

My question now is, what little stuff do you guys do before hitting a big mud/water hole?

I have to relocate my axle vent from my frame to inside the cabin, it wasn't high enough for the last hole I hit and I sucked water I'm sure. Gonna change that oil tommorow cause I'm off. I'm going to RTV the distributor cap to help waterproof it. I'm thining of making a snorkel for my carb. Other than that I'm really not sure what else needs to be protected / waterproofed. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Chris

Hey Chris;
I know it's been awhile since you posted this, and it would be nice to know how you did that day.
I live down here in Florida where the water and mud are always deep. (In the rainy season otherwise known here as monsoon season) It's REALLY deep.

Anyway, the RVT trick on the distributor should only be done for short trips. Believe it or not, the dist must breathe or the air inside will become ionized and short out the dist. What I have done in the past, was to drill a hole and glue in a piece of hose, into the top.

You got suggestions to have your axle tubes / hoses extended. Years of experiance have proven that these extended tubes do not keep water out of the axles. In fact they promote water entering the axles. Why? If you hold a glass upside-down, it will trap air. If you drill a hole in the top, (actually the bottom, since it's upside-down) water will begin to fill the glass. Giving air an escape route out of the axle, instead of keeping it trapped will allow water to squeeze past the seals and fill the axles with water....Better yet, if you're into cobbing up an ideal seal for your axles, why not push air into the axles with some kind of air pressure source thru the axle tube?

For really deep water, remove the belt to the engine fan. I've damaged radiators because the fan became a propeller and pulled itself into the radiator. Another idea is to mount a splash shield to direct water down and away from the radiator. I made one out of 1/16th inch plate steel and bolted it to my front bumper. So that it angled foward from the bumper. Also a front splash shield under the engine can keep water from splashing up from underneath and flood the engine compartment.

I would suggest that you protect the engine air intake. A 4" PVC tube works wonders here. And mount the exaust as high as possible.

Another trick is to use waterproof wheel bearing grease, on your front spindles and relube after every submerging. Don't use waterproof grease on U-joints however. (Edited in later...Waterproof grease is available for boat trailer axles)

When driving thru VERY deep water, keep on the throttle, water will try to float your truck and water puts up alot of foward resistance.

Ed

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I had almost forgotten about this post :):... I ended up hittin the hole before my engine rebuild crapped out. I didn't really do much to my truck before hitting it. It was more of a spur of the moment thing to shut his mouth.

I've never been so buried in mud.. all I gotta say is I LOVE my BFG's!!!!! Ground to rocker panels is about 36-37", and the muddy water was up to my windows. Luckily the whole pit wasn't solid mud there was a lotta water, and I aired down to about 12psi.

I hit the hole at probably 10-15mph in second gear in 4 high. ended up shifting down to granny (first) about 3/4 the way thru it because I was losing RPM's, once I got in Granny she brought the R's back up and kept pullin thru it. WHEW! I got out and gave the big "F YOU" to the guy from work, got back in the truck and drove around the hole back to where all my boyz were waiting. He (the dickhead) left shortly after that but we stayed behind to drink/carry on. It was a good night :):

Took my better part of 3 days to get all the gunk/mud/slime/who knows what off/out of my truck. :): Ohh well it was worth it, the guy at work never said anything after that.

Chalk up another one for the hardcore 4 wheelers out there!

Thanks for the advice tho guys,

-Chris

6" SkyJacker Suspension Lift Springs w/ 3" factory blocks, Custom Axle Vents & Steering Shaft/Knuckle Joint, 35X12.50X15 BFG AT/KO's on 15X8.5 American Racing 767, 360 w/ 2bbl & Crane PowerMax Cam & Valvetrain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts