We've gone jeep crazy at our house

Discussion in 'The Brothel' started by Off_Road_Ram_01, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Off_Road_Ram_01

Off_Road_Ram_01 Well-Known Member

So with all the changes the past few years, slowly rolling the idea around about a wheeling project besides the rzr. Well found a start to a build on my old college 4x4 site, and it was a 88 Jeep Comanche, though needed an engine, trans, tcase, wiring and interior. But it had a 3link front suspension, spring over in rear running full size waggy axles and 36" swampers. Only an hour from our place in Michigan, and the wife didn't say no - lol.

When I was back in the UP, good friend and neighbor went with, whom I been working on to get rid of his Willys and CJ6 that were sitting in the woods for at least 15 years. After bringing the Comanche back, he final said let's do this, and I picked up a Willys Jeep and mid 60s CJ6 as well, and for now free. Surprisingly all brakes were free, and some of the tires still had air in them. The Willys has a cracked front frame from previous owner to friend welding a plow frame, and the CJ6 is missing an engine.

Soooo went from just the wifes' yuppy 75th addition grand Cherokee, to three more jeeps. Sounds like this Sunday I might be picking up another 40s willy jeep as well (for $200).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. JasonB

JasonB Administrator Staff Member

Cool. Have fun. I think I am out of this sport now. I want to build my GC but have other priorities

3. Off_Road_Ram_01

Got another - true barn find.
    1960 willys cj5, needs points and condenser, battery, and fresh fuel - hopefully that's it.

4. Off_Road_Ram_01

Well lost one and added one. Traded the 60 Willys for a running 98 4 door Cherokee. THis will be used to build the Comanche now though.

On another plus - scored the deal of the century this past Monday. Long story short Fubar'd the rzr plow so looking at a local snow blower place. Older customer overheard me talking and said he had an old 1 ton dump truck with plow he would sell. And get this - price was $50.

PIcked it up - 78 chevy 1 ton dually with Western plow, and dump bed (actual dump truck style bed). Runs, drives, title - and yep $50. Needs a little work, but drove it home with no issues.

Austin likes this.
  5. Austin

Austin Administrator Staff Member

That's awesome. Congrats.

6. Off_Road_Ram_01

Yeah even my wife said I couldn't pass the dump truck up. It has a newer 4 way western plow, somewhere along the way the 400 was swapped for a 350. Front fenders are rust free, cab has rocker issues, and doors are rotted. Might even start a build thread for both projects now.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That's a score on the chevy!

Our place is all jeeps now vs. the rams before. I've got a WK diesel, fairly tricked out .. but can't find a locker for the front Merc. Benz 200 diff.

8. Off_Road_Ram_01

We had a lot of jeeps since my old Ram days. THough did go from my 01 ram (which is what I had most of the time back in the day here), then to an 07 power wagon, and now to my '14 6.4 ram 2500.

Wifes gone through some Grands - went from her 07 base model, to her '12 limited, to her 75th addition grand now (best of them so far).

THe other two above (cj6 and willys), might be lost causes. Since posting the pics I've been back to our place up north, and the CJ6 body is bout shot - might be better off parting it out. And the old willys - will need new frame - both front sides broke off. Engine might be froze up - as well as steering. SInce the tub is good though might be a good candidate for a running one with thrashed body I can swap over.

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

my wife's been eye balling that new 4x4 Challenger .. hoping they drop the hemi in it.

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Well-Known Member

jeeps are starting to fill my driveway and GM products going away... sniff sniff..
    sold my 2013 gmc sierra crew cab z92 (by american luxury coach) and got the wife a 2016 jeep wrangler unlimited sahara. fully loaded... 17yr old in house now and he wants a jeep wrangler to take doors/top off so were looking but dayum 2001-2005 with up to 200k miles for $8000!!!!!

Austin likes this.
  11. RamAford

RamAford Well-Known Member

Good to see your still around Ed. I hear ya about going through vehicles. ive had several since my old 01 Cummins. I miss the old one, but you can get more power outta these new ones and a lot nicer cab!

12. Off_Road_Ram_01

Hey a few old timers popping back up - lol.

Well I lost some and gained some. The 1 ton chevy dump was sold, but now picked up an 03 lifted Rubicon with 119k on it. So that also means the MJ and XJ will be going to the selling block next.

13. RamAford

RamAford Well-Known Member

Yea I check in when I can. which is about monthly lol. work, two kids, just finished building a house, upgrades on new Cummins, etc. No time for online stuff.