Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well,it apears my trans is prety screwed,its at the shop right now. tranny got torn down this morning,clutches are all completely wasted,as are the bands,some clips were busted,and the factory 96 sensors were still in the tranny and malfunctioning.

anyways for 1710 bucks,installed i am getting the following.

47RE upgrades,which i cant recall all of it,but ill tell ya what i remember, 5 pinion front drum,4 pinion rear drum and 5 pinion over drive drum? someone correct me if im wrong,there the peices with the spider gear looking things on em.

hes using borg warner clutches,putting new sensors in,installing stage 3 shift kit,2200-2400 stall converter,and giving me a 24 month unlimited miles warranty.

who thinks im gettin screwed? lol btw,i halfass know this guy,i met him and his brothers at a 4wd event,and they seem to really know there stuff,and had some pretty badass rigs,and i got some word of mouth on them which was all praise..heres hoping !

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I had pretty much all the same things done, except put in an external cooler and had them file the valve bodies to run more pressure. My bill was closer to $2000.00

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he did mention something about hte valve body to increase the pressure...i cant recall it all though,spending 1700+ wasnt my idea of fun for the week.

V

·
0 Posts
On 2005-12-12 10:17, ram408magnum wrote:

47RE upgrades,which i cant recall all of it,but ill tell ya what i remember, 5 pinion front drum,4 pinion rear drum and 5 pinion over drive drum? someone correct me if im wrong,there the peices with the spider gear looking things on em.

There is no pinions in the front drum, sounds like your getting 5 clutches in the forward drum, 4 in the rear drum and 5 in the OD unit. How many clutches are going into the direct clutch drum in the OD unit?
Sounds like a basic build and I dont think its going to hold up to a blown motor. Any mods to the servos or servo levers? Beefed up bands?

Price isnt bad for what you are getting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish i could remember it all exactly,he said that the stock 46re alum things with actual gears in them,were being replaced with the 47re steel units,with more gears to them? he showed me the parts,they looked beefy...and theres more clutches going in for everything,i cant remember the exact number. it was like 2-3 more per drive unit or whatever,there were three of them,forward,rear and over drive,with 2-3 more clutchs going to each of them

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
He must be speaking of plentary gears.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal, especially if the guy's going to warranty it knowing what it's going in/what its going behind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok,the guy was in a hurry,tryin to get my truck done asap for me...but i called him real quick to confirm whats going in it.

the front planet stock for 46RE is 4 pinion aluminum,5 pinion steel is going in.
the rear planet is 3 pinion,4 pinion is going in
overdrive is 3 or 4 pinion,and either 4 or 5 pinions going in,i coulodnt hear him that well.

direct clutches are 3 stock? and he said 5 are going in,and i couldnt make out the rest and i lost reception...anything sound right?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal I would convert to a 5speed instead though. Thats what I'm hoping to do if it ever comes down to rebuilding the tranny.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was going too,but im headed back to oregon,and i needed it done kinda quickly. i already have half of what i need.

nv4500,bellhousing,pedals and hydraulics...but with some reasearch i found out the trans wont bolt to a np231,my 241hd is at the house in oregon.

and the computer is an issue since they aparently didnt make a 96 360 5spd...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
They made a 96 360 5spd in a 2500. Since its the same truck...just swap your 1500 computer for a 2500 5spd gas computer, most of the sensors underneath are the same from an automatic to a manual on my 94.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eh maybe later on then,thanks for that info though,wish i woulda known that about a week ago,i couldnt find any 360,5spd 96 ish computers.

if i hadnt jsut dropped 1700 into the auto i would have done the 4500 swap. ill do it once i get back to oregon,im gonna find a std cab shortbed 4wd,ill just toss the built auto in that and swap the 4500 in my ex cab then

1 - 12 of 12 Posts