Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been wanting a welder for a while now just don't know much about them. I was told that I could get one for christmas but that she didn't want me getting a $400 one now and deciding in 2 weeks I need a $700 one to do what I want. Well I want something pretty powerful and yet easy to use as I have never used one before. I'd like to be able to do exhaust work myself and weld up stuff on my bikes. Maybe build a roll cage for my car or weld the frame backtogether on my bike stuff like that. I am now wondering if I will get much use out of it so not sure if I need one or not but if I get one which ones should I look at.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have a miller MIG welder, its a millermatic 115, i payed around 750 for it with the argon/co2. its an awesome welder, and trust me, you will use it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a Lincoln Pro-Core 100, which is a wire feed, flux cored MIG type welder. Very easy to use, requires no stable gas to use, and will weld up to 1/4". It ran me $330 at Lowes and it's done more than I needed it to.

I also have a stick welder for anything big such as bumpers and such, but if all you're doing is welding exhaust and bike frames I'd get the Pro Core 100. You can also buy the kit at a later date to convert it to a true gas sheilded MIG welder capable of welding 3/8" and the kit's $100.

Also get a welding book, and try to set up some lessons or something with someone who knows how to weld. It's not hard to run a bead, the hard part is doing it efficiently and completely.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
We have the miller 175 here at home but check out hobart I heard just as good as miller. Ours was like 1000 out the door

·
Registered
844 Posts
I bought a lincoln electric 110 volt welder a few years ago, it can go to 1/4" steel with flux cored wired. It can weld much bigger with proper preperation, I even used mine to weld a 1 1/8" hydrolic steering mount bracket to my military 5 ton rockwell axle, I beveled it some with the grinder and heated it up some with the torch, works great and hasn't broken. I welded 1/2 plate and 3/8 angle together for my leaf spring mounts and again no problems plus my tires are very large 60"x 30" terras, thats alot of stress on it. Great welder!
I now bought a 220 lincoln, mig 175, not used yet, soon... :naughty:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have the Lincoln Pro Mig 175? How is it? Will it be strong enough to make a bumper or something similar?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a Hobart, Handler 180. Its a good little welder, picked it up for about $600. Got it from my local welding supply. I've welded some thin (22 gauge)up to some semi-thick (3/8) with it. When I welded the thinker stuff, I had good penetration and wasn't on highest heat setting. Built a trailer with it, out of 2" pipe. Did real good.

Miller owns Hobart. Hobart price is cheaper, Miller you pay for the name. If you look in the parts manual, it list a Miller part #, and a Hobart part #, same part, different price.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a millermatic 135, it is kicka$$. I payed around 750 for the works. Try to get something with a good name brand, some of the cheapys don't penetrate well and have poor duty cycle ratings. I belive you will get what you pay for...

·
Registered
129 Posts
On 2005-12-14 13:00, Hometheaterman wrote:
Anyone have the Lincoln Pro Mig 175? How is it? Will it be strong enough to make a bumper or something similar?

It's pretty much the same thing as the Pro-Core 100 but it just uses a stable gas instead of flux cored wire. And yes you can weld a bumper with that, as long as you keep it to 3/8" or thinner material. But 3/8" is plenty thick for a bumper. Just remember you need a stable gas to weld with it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
One thing I noticed was when I bought my lincoln mig 175 unit it had a label on the shelf unit stating it can weld one inch stock but the manual doesn't say it, this is the biggest mig lowes sells. The label on the inside cover says 5/16" max, i'm confused on this misprint, i'll call them jerks to get the scoop... :kicknuts:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I noticed that the tag said 1" thick the box said 1/2" thick on it. Is this a good welder or should I go somewhere else and get a bigger one? I have just looked a Lowes and like you said this was the biggest one they had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts