Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out my dipstick the other day and found creamy yellowish crap all over the dipstick. The stuff looks like water mixed with the oil. I'm praying that this is only condensation from the drastic temperature changes we've been having in Miane lately. The dipstick didn't smell like antifreeze so thats a good sign, I know that a cracked block will allow water to mix but I don't think thats it. Any other ideas what would cause this?? I'm gonna change over the oil tommorow and see within a few days if the condensation is still there. During the week I usually don't make any long trips so would the fact that the engine really isn't getting heated up enough be a problem with the combination of making highway trips on the weekend where the engine gets really warm??

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Cracked head or bad head gasket typical causes of coolant in the oil. The typical cracked head fails between the two rear cylinders.

Check your coolant for discoloration as well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Change your oil and oil filter. After I moved out here to AZ from Maryland I had buildup on the bottom of my motorcycle oil fill plug. I was like "oh $#iznit I don't wanna replace a headgasket on this thing"... changed the oil and it went away.

Always remember that moisture WILL find a way to get in. It always has and always will.

-Chris

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
a lot of times the coolant will be foamy too if theres a bad head gasket. i have a tester that goes in the top of the radiator. you pour this chemical in the tube that reacts with the combustion gases. its about $50 and your mechanic would prob have it. its a good way to find out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there wasn't really any foam. i changed my oil and filter and the problem has seemed to go away. Right now we have a mix of spring and winter weather so I think thats what really caused it cause if my head gasket was blown then I would probably have a temp running problem. And when i put it on the dyno today the temp cooled down really well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Also check under the oil fill cap. A bad head gasket will put coolant in the oil, which in turn will put that coolant into a foamy substance on the underside of your oil fill cap.

-Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
if the problem stille exist you can also check the rad when the engine is cold and pull the rad cap off and look in on the coolant.start the truck and see if it bubbles right away.

if the head gasket is gone than the motor will pump compression into the rad and cause this bubbling.

also the rad cap might have some slime on it as well if its a rather big blown gasket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts