Off Road Vehicles banner

Vortex exhaust...Anyone??!!

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  joetorre 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Just, and I maen JUST had a Vortex exhaust installed on my Ram. I was going to go with the Flowmaster 50 series, but after going to the shop here in town and doing a little more research, I found the Vortex muffler to be more "free flowing". I decided to keep the stock tail pipe because it is stainless steel and a 3" pipe. It would seem kind of a waste to get an entire "cat-back system with pipes of lesser diameter. Just so you all know (for those who don't) the pipe from the cat converter to the stock muffler is 2 1/2". I just can't see spending a whole lot of money for the cat-back system when the existing pipes are great (with few bends).
The Vorex "cherry bomb" that I purchaced is a nice mellow deep sounding muffler. I first thought it would be too loud, but was surprised at the "throaty" tone it gave.
I can say I am very happy with the whole purchase and would recommend to anyone who is looking into exhausts to give them a try.
Now, I have to wait for my K&N to come in and see how much power it unleashes!

Hope this helps,
Airborne

#3 ·
do either one of you have a sound clip of the exhaust. im in the need for a new muffler(already!).

#5 ·
I am trying in ernest to find the web site, but no luck as of yet so I can't come up with a sound clip. I will call the shop where I had it installed and find out what the (if any) site they run from.
As far as the "glass pack", not to sure but I can find out. Like I said, the muffler has a real good low end, deep noise and I was plesantly surprised with the overall sound. Not much noise in the cab at all but when you get on it, it really takes off. I was following a friend into work this am. and he said he had the same muffler put in on his truck (Chrvy Z71, 5.3L) but he had duals from the muffler and his sounded real good as well. I have noticed a LOT of power (torque) gains from just this install. I am waiting on the K&N to come in yet knowing that whatever you do to one end must be done to the other, so I will keep you all posted if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Airborne!

#7 ·
Ok Airborne, my ears are perked up and my nostrils are flared...where can one find this wonderous whirling dervish of a muffler. Please enlighten us posthaste, sir.
My desire to produce a wee more exhaust tone is akin only to my desire for testosterol....Muhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhhuhaa!
Dd

#8 ·
Ok Dsertdog56, I will find out A.S.A.P where you can find out more about the system. Seems as though you have the very same set up on your rig as I do on mine. Like I said, you WILL notice a real gain under the hood. Hope this does not keep you in limbo for too long but hey, its a hard job sometimes to defend a country AND do research, lol! I will find out for you Thursday. Where do you live so I can check for dealers in your area?

Talk at ya later,
Airborne!

#9 ·
Ahhhh defending freedom should always take prioritai over the exhausting research you must do (pun intended). Seriously, I live in and around PHx AZ, so anywhere close is cool.
Even Mail order is fine.
Dd

#10 ·
i live in sunny michigan. about an hour away from the lovely city of detroit. lol. plenty of trails there. anyways i was wonderin if there was a dealer in my area to. theres a nice hole in mine so i need it replaced post haste.

#11 ·
Dsertdog56, I have been checking EXTENSIVLEY both online and around here (Sierra Vista) and I even emailed the company. This is what I came up with. Vortex is a product of Flowmaster but there is a dispute of some sorts with the marketing aspect of the Vortex system. The company rep. said until the dispute is setteled, Vortex will not be advertising except by word of mouth. I was told by the place where I had mine installed that they are VERY popular in Phoenix and Tucson according to a few magazine articles.
I did find out that "Meineke" muffler shops carry the line. We have none in the area here to verify that though. If you want, I can give you the number to the place locally and they may be able to tell you of shops in the "valley".
They also are in JCWhittney, but the exact on I have is not listed. Mine is the "Vortex cherry bomb". It's black and almost in the shape of a rectangle (not oval and curved like most).
Hope this helps and if I can help any more, let me know. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think it was a good upgrade for a very reasonable price.

Thanks again,
Airborne

#15 ·
Hey Torre,
Got it at A-1 Muffler out there towards Herford. I got the deal with the owner, Carlos. It was $120 for the 3"in/out muffler and the installation. He welded the pipes together. Sounds real nice. A lot of power gain thus far. Call me at the shop if you want a P.O.C out there, ok?

Airborne!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.