Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck used so i didnt have much choice on engine size. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to up horsepower.i'm not looking for anything extreme just to add some. (You can never have too much power) Thanks

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
dual exhaust is always a good way to get some good power for not to bad of a price. airaid is another thing that would be good too and would be cheaper than exhaust...some people tell me that airaid is like dual exhaust all over again

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about a chip? any ideas?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
i think the deal with the power chips are that you need to make other adjustment first do make the chip work to its potential.
a complete air and exhaust system.
I heard those throttle body spacers are good.
180 thermostat, better plugs and wire setup.
all the outer upgrade motor stuff.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Low restriction air intake and exhaust. Duals aren't necessary, just go with a true 3" mandrel bent system. You can also port your MAF, that will help out too and it's free. Go to http://www.LS1.com for more info. Yes, that's mainly an F-Body site, but the 4.8 is a version of the 5.7 used in Vettes and F-Bodies. All the same tricks work.

Also check out SLP, they have a line of parts for LS1 engines.

You can also make better use of the power you have with a transmission shift kit and torque converter with a slightly higher stall speed. Yank and Precision Industries are two good ones I remember from my F-Body days. I had a 98 Firebird Formula with the 5.7 LS1.

Same thing with gears. What gears do you have? You might want to install a set of 4.10's, especially if you have larger than stock tires. The LS1 engines like to rev, so those gears might put it more in the powerband.

245/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
RE adjustable front track bar, OME SD40
Mopar skids and hooks

Member# 666!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2000 chevy 4x4 with the 4.8l in it i put a magnaflow muffler one in two out with two turn downs and a k and n air filter just the filter no filter charger or nothing
and i can't believe how much it came to life its a total sleep now no sh*t :bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts