Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed my vehicle speed sensor today to count the “teeth” in order to replace it with a corrected one. i put it back together (very simple) and now my speedometer does not work, the check engine light is on, and the transmission is not shifting into overdrive. obviously, the VSS is not sending whatever it is supposed to send to the PCM. i pulled it back out and it appears to be just fine. it is not binding and the electrical connector is nice and clean and making full contact. there is not a lot to this... any suggestions...

95 RAM, 1500 SLT 4X4. 5.9L Motor. 3 inch body and 3 inch suspension lift. Running on 35 x 12.5 x 15 BFG ATs with 4:56 Gears

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after screwing around with this half of the day, i finally figured it out. on the housing of the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) there are 3 numbers stamped. 26-31, 39-45, and 32-38. i will a**ume that these numbers represent the number of teeth on the gear. mine has 31. there is a small dimple at the base of the transmission extension housing - very hard to see. you have to line up the number stamped on the side that correlates to the number of teeth that are on the gear. mine has 31 teeth, so i lined up the stamped number 26-31 with the dimple and "wah-lah" everything works. as i was cursing the dog and preparing to throw the VSS across the yard i noticed that it was not a perfect spear shape and depending on how big your gear is (how many teeth) determined the angle that the VSS had to be inserted into the transmission extension housing. man i spent a lot of time screwing with this...

95 RAM, 1500 SLT 4X4. 5.9L Motor. 3 inch body and 3 inch suspension lift. Running on 35 x 12.5 x 15 BFG ATs with 4:56 Gears

1 - 2 of 2 Posts