Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else have a clatter that sounds like it's from the a/c. going up25-30 degree hills my truck makes s***ty clattering sound. turning the a/c off doesn't make a lot of difference but it gets quieter. i just downshift and get on so i can drown out the clatter with the duals , any ideas

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Is it possibly bad bearings on the AC Compresser's pully or maybe the tention pully is bad?? Just a guess.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Lets see, happens under load, from 1200-2000 rpm or so, but not higher rpms? Worse around 15-1600 rpm?

Mine's been doing it for 40K miles. Dealers didn't have a clue.

I think it might be the cat converter going. Could just be a loose heatshield on the exhaust or on the firewall.

But basically, in the the "thud-thud-thud" of the exhaust note, you get a metallic clacking/clicking/tapping sound at the same rate?

Sounds almost like a diesel?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OHHH you know what, maybe the spark knock from the intake plenum gasket, take your air box off the top of the motor, look down through the baffles on top of the intake and look with a flashlight, see if there is oil in there, if so the intake plenum gasket went bad. It did on mine and it does it worse under load than highway cruising and more from about 1800 rpm up to 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Check down under the baffles, thats what i did, it was easy, its just that one screw on the air box. and a flashlight, let me guess. you guys have 360's with about 40k on the motor?

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah i got a sound kinda like a cats in my glove compartment scatching around and s***.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts