Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have 3.55 in a Ford 8.8 rear (open) and the same in a Dana 44 front (open). The 33's I have now are OK but with the 6 in. of lift I am gonna have they'll look puny. If I upgrade to 35's will I cause damage to my tranny or diffs if I don't regear right away? Sooner or later I want to go to 4.10s but right away i can't afford it. Any input?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Depends on the tranny. Some automatics just don't like 35" tires, especially with 3.55 gears. Manuals make handle it better, with the lower first gears and the overall heavier construction.

3.55 are a bit steep for 35" tires. You'll want steeper gears just to gain back the torque your going to lose going to the taller tire.

4.10 should be your minimum choice. I know many people with 4.56s and 35s, and their happy. Some want to go even lower, though.

I'm running 35s with 3.92 gears, and not happy, even with as much low-end torque as the Dodge 360 V8 cranks out compared to other V8s. The difference between the stock 31-32s and the current 35s is amazing.

When you're going up hills, esp. with an automatic, you find the tranny will want to "hunt" if your gears aren't low enough.

Basically, it depends on the truck. With a newer Chevy (99+), I'd go with MUCH lower gears, they just don't have any low-torque. Lots of HP, but no torque down low.

Dodge Ram? I'd go with 3.92s at a minimum for a 360 V8, 4.56s for the 5.2 (318) V8, the 5.2 (as JasonB can tell you) just doesn't have the grunt to push a full-size dodge through 3.55 gears and 35" tires.

Now, one thing you should really keep in mind is that if you're going to be off-roading it, then you probably want low (numerically high) gears anyway. The extra control you get from low gears is surprising. Much more control on hills, "stair-climbs", and most importantly: going downhill.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have 4.10s right now with my stock 32.2 inch tires.. If I go 35 or larger I am getting 4.56s to make things run better. I would think about more but I dont think I can go beyond 4.56 with the Chrysler 9.25 rear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a C6 and a 351 which has plenty of torque, 310 pounds stock, but I think you have talked me into 4.56 gears. I think now that I'll wait, and buy my lockers, gears, and tires all at the same time. Maybe then I'll be able to finagle with the shop to give me a deal on installation since I will be buyimng so much. So for right now, the 33's will have to do.

·
Administrator
9,227 Posts
Nick -

When you do your gears and locker, check out River City Differential in Rancho Cordova on Sunrise. They had the best price, the best service and the best turn around time on my truck. New gears, rear Detroit, new seals and bearings, dropped off and picked up the same day for just under $1500. All USA seals and bearings. Gears themselves would have been $100 out the door. Better than West Coast Differentials (who RCD bought their parts from) and much cheper than 4WP. Warranty was very simialr to all other shops I checked (basically aith anything 35" or bigger or offroad use, the warranty is voided at all shops anyway)

The owner of the shop is a member of the Pirates of the Rubicon so he understands wheeling, and I have seen limo's, trucks (classics and late model) and everyday cars and hotrods in the shop.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Interco Super Swamper Thornbirds, from what everyone has told me, are very very aggressive and loud loud loud!!! If you do more wheeling than highway driving, the Super Swampers are a good tire!!!...but as far as highway use...forget it!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
On 2004-03-19 23:44, ramman2x4 wrote:
WOULD A V6 3.9 TURN 35INCH THORNBIRDS, I HAVE SOME MODS DONE TO ENGINE BUT I FEAR NOT ENOUGH

Make your own new thread, youll probably get some answers, and for the guy getting thornbirds, just abotu everywhere they say thornbirds are bad tires. There a huge amount of other options out there, that are better tires on and off-road.

Look at something like a M/T?

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Take it from a former thornbird owner, I was ecstatic to get those peices of shyt off my truck and get my BFGs on. If you want to run a 35 look at a BFG M/T or a goodyear MT/r. they will both do you well on the street as well as offroad. the thornbirds do not excell anywhere

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
oh yeah, 3.55s and 35s isnt a good idea. your truck will be a big dog as well as get terrible mileage and forget about using overdrive. Im running that for now but Ive got axle swaps coming soon

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thornbirds look cool as snit but they're really absolutely horrible tires. I'd consider a different tire. What about the Truxus?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I haven't had problems with my thornbirds :fu: I say be different or at least your own person and get what you want. I am going to 35's soon too, and I will be replacing my thornbirds w/ thornbirds. My Thornbirds were quieter than my Goodyear Mud terrains.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you have an automatic its going to be slow going in the first gears and it will seem like you have lost torque. They will get you by until you upgrade (I recommend 4.56's like everyone else). And thornbirds aren't very good tires, I'm surpised interco stamps their name on em. I think they are good sellers due to they're looks so thats probably why swamper still cares em.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
We do....but this post is from like 3 yrs ago when people didn't know any better or care. Heck, this isn't even about thornbirds, it is drivetrain related since he is asking about gears. But this is a really old post, so it can just stay here.

To the dude with the V6 that brought the post back up, go to the drivetrain forum or Dodge forum and ask your question. This way you will get plenty of responses to help you out. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
HOLY SHYT. didnt even notice I was wasting my time on a 3 year old post :wall:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
:withstupid:

I didnt notice either, why would he bring up such an old thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts