Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is looking at a CJ5 with a 3speed tranny. Is it possible to combine something from a CJ7 to make it a 4 or 5 speed?? How easy would it be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only tranny that could be even considered would be a Borg Warner T-18 that would have came in a 78-79 CJ-7 as an option behind a 258 I-6 and in front of a Dana 20 T/C. The odds of having this Jeep are slim. Besides, the 4 and 5 spds they put in late model Jeeps really suck. Not only are the trannies whimpy but they came with Dana 300 T/C's, which are good, but they will not match up to your T/C, and are too long to adapt into a CJ-5.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I thought it would be an easy bolt on but I guess not. Thanks Man!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If your friend does get the CJ-5, Advanced Adapters will have everything needed (at a cost$$$) to adapt prety much any tranny to any motor. Being a CJ-5, does limit the options though. I tossed my stk 4sd (a T176)
and installed a ford T-18 w/granny. The T-18 is 2 1/4 inches longer (and about 100 lbs heavier too!) than the T-176 Now for my application I needed a new adapter plate for my T/C to the tranny. (and a new tranny output shaft) The stk adapter plate was much thinner that the new adapter plate. With the combined length of the new tranny and adapter plate, I needed new drive lines. The front drive line was increased by aprox 4" and the rear driveline is a wopping 13.75 inches now. (with a CV)
So, swapping in a new tranny could be an easy chore, depending on your level of mechanical ability, tool available, $$$ available etc.. it's the other little things
you need to watch.
I'd love to have an Atlas T/C,but to do so I'd have relocate my rear axle back behind my jeep a few inches.
If I were to "do it all over again" I'd forget about a CJ-5 and look for the CJ-7
Longer body, more options for tranny/T/C, it can carry a little more cargo, and rides better! I've invested 20yrs into my CJ-5, unless I win a lottery, I won't be gettin rid of her anytime soon.
Hey, tell your friend good luck with whatever he/she end's up with ....
Troy

P.S. she's a 82' CJ-5, fuel inj 6 cyl, 4in lift, 2" body lift, ARB air locker rear, power lok front, welder, on-board air (150psi)Warn 8274 4:10's T-18 w/ granny, M.O.R.E bombproof motor mounts, and 33"BFG MT's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts