Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new guy with a question. Has anyone here had any first hand experience with a Unimog or Pinz in action off road? I have seen quite a few of both for sale for great prices. They seem to have a great set up for tackling some serious off road challenges. I have seen some shots from a few Umog clubs that show them doing some insane off road.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have seen one unimog off road and they have alot of torque, very powerful rigs. They are big so they are limited to trails that are pretty wide.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
In terms of the Unimog, be sure you can stand going slow, unless you are going to trailer it. I hear the 404 is the most common and least expensive and has the most readily available parts, but is limited to 40mph. You can move up to but them so does price (about 50% more to buy outright) and speed increases to 55mph, but the parts are pricier, although you can find a add-on t-case to give you 135:1 or 300:1 crawl ratio.

No actual experience with either one, but they do look cool.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I've seen one on the Rubicon twice. It belongs to a guy in a big club. I saw it just below Buck Island lake, for their "end of year run" I suspect that his truck was the work horse used to haul in all the equipment. I've had the opertunity to look at one in a parking lot as well. MASSIVE ground clearance! Great visibility!
While talking to the owner of (the one in the parking lot)it, he mentioned it could carry some serious weight (5,000lbs)

·
Registered
969 Posts
The one I saw was 4 wheel drive but I've heard of unimogs that are 6 wheel drive, anyone know if thats true?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen the 6X UMOGs on some web sites. I dont know if they were originally produced that way or if someone with a lot of know how and money made them that way. I know also that there is a 4 door UMOG that seats like 6 people in the cab. I have heard that it was originally designed to be used as a driver training vehicle. I have always wanted a Hummer but when I saw the Umog and the very affordable prices I just had to try to find out more about them. It is just dificult to find anyone that owns one or has driven one for recreational off road. Have any of you guys heard of or seen a Steyer Puch Pinzgauer in action?

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Unimog's are Mercedes answer to a commercial truck in Europe. Essentially it is like any other medium duty truck (International, Ford L series) out there, except Mercedes has built them really well for off road use. There length is greatly infuenced by European roads. Yes there are 6X6's and crew cabs, some with box beds, some with utility, flat and anything you can think of. With such a short hood, the visability is great, but their latest version has an even smaller/ rounded hood. The suspension in these things more closely related to a hummer than anything else. This all may come down to fact it was partly designed to be used by European Militaries, and the United Nations. Imort costs are high, and makes these trucks rare in the US. It's kinda like Europeans getting all happy seeing a Dodge. They just don't see them there. Well, OK, I've been long winded enough. Take Care, Got Mud? If ya'll like I'll get pictures of the new ones, as I know a source.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello All,
Just thought I'd let you know I saw a 4x4 version of the 6x6 picture (above) the other day in LA. THose trucks are really bigger and more comparable to Military 5 Tons. It was great, everybody that was crawling with me on the 405 was starring at this huge truck, un-modified. I think Rig drivers were looking up at it too.
Take care, got mud?
Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Uni-mog was actually designed to be a tractor, hense the slow speed and high torque. There is a guy who just got one in the town that I work, but I have not had a chance to talk to him yet. All I know is that one is quite small and looks like it could go through anything.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I've seen a version that had a "powered" trailer! Yep, the Trailers wheels recieved power through the coupling, so, it was 6 wheel drive, four on the cab, and the 2 trailer wheels. Saw a video of it climbing a hill that jeeps could not get up.
I was able to climb all over it, where it was parked in Ben Lomond. The video was from a jeep club run I missed. (this was many moons ago)
Later....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The US Army used to have something like that. It was 4x4 with a detachable poered trailer that made it 6x6, and it was amphibious, too. It was called the Gama Goat, or something like that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is a picture of a model Gama Goat.

photo from <!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.roco.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found this unimog site that has some cool pics and video clips of some very built and a few stock unimogs in action. It would seem that you can build a hell of a MOG for a pretty deent price, especially since you can get your hands on one for as little as $5K. The yellow one in the videos is awesome!

http://www.unimogvideo.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
i wanted/want to get the axles for my blazer cuz they give ya soo much clearance a guy out here did it and it gave him lots of clearance

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
my friends brother has one .. I'm been out on it. it's awsome for off road .. but it will only go 35mph max

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
my dad drove a gamma goat and said they suck, cant go up steap hills and handle rough terrain like crap

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I was watching a rock crawling competition on ESPN2 and this truck got the ONLY perfect score!

They Skyjacker guys were in it with the RR Cherokee. That thing almost got eaten alive!

That [email protected] MOG just walked right through it like nothing!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That hybrid unimog is junk. I have The Ramsey Off Road Challenge video which it is in. Its not very good at all. A regular unimog is better than it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts