Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the number 6 plate best for a 95 2500 ctd 4wd with 4.10s if that matters. its straight piped, it was like 230hp and 605lbs torque. If not which do most people choose to go with? thanks also truck has 163k miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
just grind a #100 like i did and same the money just dont get after it as much under 1700 rpm's to save the trans it was a good plate for my 97 and free

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
#5 is the best one IMO. I have a 95 Just like you with a #5 plate. Loving it. Wernt you going to sell your truck? -Jordan

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The number 5 is a little agressive onthe bottom end.

A #10 is the best plate for a stock tranny. The chart if for reference olny. You can get good HP with the #10 as well.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
punisher, you still got stock tranny? just curious i dont want trash tranny going with a #5 if thats what can more easily happen. So would a number 8 or a number 6 really kill tranny? So off the line could i stomp it with out breaking {expletive}? I want to order one this week as well as gauges and trying to make mind up i kinda wanna get as much power as i can. but cant afford new trans at same time.

thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thought you were selling the truck? or did you decide to keep it to build?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
decided to keep it and build it up little and try to pay it off. Between collage now and possibly moving out i dont want to stretch my money to tight with $400+ truck payment.

If something were to change I'll let you know. I keep bouncing back and forth about selling it but im firm at not selling now.

Thanks for the intrest though.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
On 2005-12-14 01:09, BigGreenCTD wrote:
punisher, you still got stock tranny? just curious i dont want trash tranny going with a #5 if thats what can more easily happen. So would a number 8 or a number 6 really kill tranny? So off the line could i stomp it with out breaking {expletive}? I want to order one this week as well as gauges and trying to make mind up i kinda wanna get as much power as i can. but cant afford new trans at same time.

thanks.

No I have a highly modified tranny, im pushing well over 800lbs of torque, and 40s, that is like a gimmee, comeon!! J/k. Your tranny, unless fresh, and upgraded a bit, will probably go out eventually. Because 600lb torque is a tad to much for that tranny. I would do it, and change out your tranny, youll notice a huge power difference. When I rebuilt my tranny with all the higher end parts, my power was unbelieveable, because the tranny was actually converting the power correctly to the Driveshafts IMO. -Jordan

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I ground mine to a 100 too, why spend money on one

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the whole grinding the plate kinda n' riggin it? Just makes me wonder if i should shell out 200 bucks vs doing it half a$$. So grinding it to a 100 plate is the = of a #10 plate? Also was that little elbow thing they give you in the tst kit? what do you do if you grind it find one elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The 100 plate is like the 10 without the defueling at the top end or so i was told. No grinding your own plate is not rigging it, it is doing the same thing just for free. And the little elbow thing is a boost elbow and i'm sure if you contact piers diesel research or tst they would sell you one.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Here is my opinion.

1mm of rack travel can make a big difference in HP.

Grinding you own plate is fine but to say you ground a #100 or a #5 or whatever is not accurate unless you had a #?? in your hand to make a direct an exact replica of.

Does this matter? Only in the sense when you are comparing your truck to another or lising your mods. It is highly unlikely that most grind and exact replica of a #?? plate.

It can matter too if you want to keep your stock tranny alive longer. If you grind your own plate there is no baseline to give advice upon. With a genuine #10 it is safe to say that you should be ok with the auto tranny as long as you drive the truck sensibly. With a home ground plate who knows. As I said 1mm of rack travel makes a big difference in HP.

JMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts