Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem with the way there truck handles on the road? Is it because of the 35" tires? I had my DT trac bar put on about two weeks ago and the steering felt way beeter it didn't seem to wander going down the road/but they did not center my axle,it was about 1/2" out on the passenger side.Well they centered my axle and did a realignment.And now my truck wanders again.Is it something you just have to live with when you run bigger tires and a lift.

·
Registered
807 Posts
after putting on 33X12.5/R16's on my truck it wanders a little more than it did with the stock tires. thats only with 2 inch daystars on the front, no lift kit. i'd guess it to be the tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All I did was add bigger tires (33x12.50's)..no lift..no spacers..and my truck now pulls a little to the right. Had it aligned, but still pulls some. Sears..where I got it aligned, said I would always get some "radial pull" when running mud tires on the street. Guess I'll have to live with the pull..:):

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2001-12-17 13:21, Yota wrote:
Do you have a steering stabilizer? That helps out. Was it not wandering before you had it realigned?
Yes I have a heavy duty steering stabilizer-(heckethorn/single shock)-and it didn't seem to wander much at all until they made my axle dead center,which made my thrust angle go from 0.00 to 0.07 specified range is -0.40 to 0.40 so that should have nothing to do with it.The only other thing it may be is the 315/75/16 tires on 16x8 rims to get a flat fooprint I'm running 32lbs. up front and 30lbs. in the back.So the tires are a little soft.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You didn't mention wheter or not you are running a sway bar on the front or not. I am figuring most likely no, but one may help. My Bronco, IFS, no sway bar, 35s on 7 inches of lift, with one steering stabilizer wanders some and I have just learned to live with it. It drives better than my father's 4runner at stock height with 31s, so I can't complain. I think it is something that us guys with lifted trucks have to deal with.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Have you checked the play in your steering box? Just a thought.....

Troy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2001-12-17 15:17, Nick wrote:
You didn't mention wheter or not you are running a sway bar on the front or not. I am figuring most likely no, but one may help. My Bronco, IFS, no sway bar, 35s on 7 inches of lift, with one steering stabilizer wanders some and I have just learned to live with it. It drives better than my father's 4runner at stock height with 31s, so I can't complain. I think it is something that us guys with lifted trucks have to deal with.
yes I do have a sway bar,guess I just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2001-12-17 15:40, jprtroy wrote:
Have you checked the play in your steering box? Just a thought.....

Troy
No I didn't check the steering box,how would I go about doing that,I know I saw it posted somewhere-(Thanks)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
could it be as easy as your front tires being not balanced correctly?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
every also forgot to mention that it is the wider tires catching any ruts in the road made by years of traffic and semi trucks.
as far as the steering gearbox your S.O.L., aint much you can adjust on there thats going to help. you can tighten up the sector shaft but that will make the box wear faster. im in this predicament now. i can turn my steering wheel 30-40 degrees before it moves the sector shaft. dont have the cash for a rebuilt one($150) either. dodge wants $600 for an oem.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
This is not an option for saving money, rather for upgrading, but AGR makes a steering box that is an upgrade to the stock box. They have 2 series: <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1416&occlass=AGR&cat=Performance" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End --> and the <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1419&occlass=AGR&cat=Performance" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->. these are about $400 though. Just another option. They also have new pumps.

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.agrperformance.com/agr/" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
4 wheel parts wants $379 for the agr box. im trying to hold off until spring when i can start working OT again and have cash to get that agr box(or rock ram system either way).
i dont mind spending cash on my truck, i just dont like doing it for repairs, especially for something i took it to the dealer for prelift, and they said it was "within spec, and dodge wanted the sector shaft to leak". the tech wasnt happy when he had to replace the motor. can you say get out the ladder. at least they were cool enough for painting the new motor yellow for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fixed my steering wander problem,I did the OVER-CENTER ADJUSTMENT found on dodgeram.org here is the web page http://dodgeram.org/tech/tsb/1997/19-10-97/19_10_97.htm It took me three times turning the adjustment screw and taking the truck for a test drive but now the steering never felt better it's a lot tighter and the play in the steering wheel is gone,and now my hands not moving from side to side trying to keep it in my lane.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2001-12-18 20:05, 2000 Ram wrote:
I fixed my steering wander problem,I did the OVER-CENTER ADJUSTMENT found on dodgeram.org here is the web page http://dodgeram.org/tech/tsb/1997/19-10-97/19_10_97.htm It took me three times turning the adjustment screw and taking the truck for a test drive but now the steering never felt better it's a lot tighter and the play in the steering wheel is gone,and now my hands not moving from side to side trying to keep it in my lane.

doing this also makes the gear box bearings wear faster. thats a good thing if you want to upgrade to the agr box though. i did this on mine and it made the steering tighter but the play is still there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts