Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what all has to be done to take the transfer case out a mid 90 i think 3/4 ton chevy with a 350. the tanny has to come off with it right? a big deal or not really, how long should it take to replace? about a day or so? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I no expert on Chevy's but I dont think the tranny has to come out with it, you will need to drop the rear driveshaft and probably the front too, disconnect the t-case shifter and any wiring harness's. It should unbolt from the tranny. And there is probably a t-case crossmember, that may have to come out too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Marc's right. The transmission does NOT have to come out. Even if its bolted directly to it, it will unbolt from the transmission. BOTH driveshafts will have to be removed. Make sure you drain the thing out before removing the driveshafts. Make sure you support the transmission with a jack or a block of wood because when you unbolt/remove the transfercase (if its mounted to a crossmember) the tranny will snap up against the underside of the truck. Make sure you remove any wires attached to it, and the linkage (if it isn't a pushbutton in which case it'll have a wire loom attached).

-Chris

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok great that will save me some work then. I read that the tranny must be removed with it somewhere but I didnt see why. Thanks guys

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you are evn familiar with hand tools it shouldnt take you any more than 3 hours to remove and replace.

do it a few times and it becomes faster.

my best time to date is 45 minutes while doing it on my back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright I'll be helping a friend out so there will be 2 of us. we are going to do it saterday. I'll let u know how we do, its gonna be a first or both of us.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it was pretty easy everything is back on except the front driveshaft that needs a new ujoint very bad it wasnt moving so we werent putting it back on till we get one one monday. it took about 1.5-2/hrs getting it apart and about 45min tops to put it back. everthing was rusted in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts