Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my service manual is kind of old and i can no longer find ATF II transmission fluid. what do i put in my transfer case when chainging the fluid?

95 RAM, 1500 SLT 4X4. 5.9L Motor. 3 inch body and 3 inch suspension lift. Running on 35 x 12.5 x 15 BFG ATs with 4:56 Gears

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mopar, went to ATF+#, then just a little while ago they went to ATF+4 you need to drain the ATF II and put in ATF+4.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am straight on the ATF 4 in the transmission – but is this now the standard for the TRANSFER CASE as well. i just want this confirmed please... thanks...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thats what I'm useing in mine. I don't know if you need the type 4, aka type 7176, but its the top of the line so it cann't hurt.

·
Registered
472 Posts
+3 or +4 will work.....chris

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I havent swapped my t-case over to ATF+4 yet, it still has the +3 in it. About 4 months ago I needed 2 or 3 quarts of ATF+3, I hadnt heard about the +4 yet, I bought a whole case, so now I have +3 coming out of my as* backwards.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A dealer tech was quoted on an e-mail list I'm on that he's had LOTS of problems with ATF+4 on pre-00 trucks with torque converter slippage.

Turns out the problem goes away if he bumps up the line pressure a bit (shift-kit, essentially), but that the newer ('00 and '01) trannies are fine on +4. But +3 seems to work best in the older trannies.

Food for thought...

But if you have an auto, use the same fluid in the t-case, and if you have a manual, use the ATF for your year.

Or, if you REALLY want good fluid, fork over the $9/quart for Redline ATF+3... :):

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts