Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the 'optimal' operating temp for my tranny is 160*.
Is this true?
If so, why won't my tranny get over 135?
There aren't any performance or durability issues with it running cooler are there?
Those of you that have tranny temp gages, what temp does your tranny usually run at?

thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
mine usually sticks between 135-155 depending on driving conditions. On a hot summer day in stop and go it will climb up to around 185.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Flex, glad mine is within normal specs.

How hot can the tranny get before I need to pull over and give it a brake?

Is the tranny pump dependent on input shaft speed, or does it pump the same amount all the time?
Reason being, if it's dependant on input shaft speed, then towing in D (vs. O/D) would yeild faster fluid circulation to the tranny cooler and thus better cooling.

V

·
0 Posts
It depends where the sending unit is located. If its in the pan, it will read low. If its on the outgoing cooler line from the tranny, it will read a good bit higher and is the most accurate temp reading

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine is in the front driveside corner of the pan, opposite the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2005-12-13 13:33, chizzle1 wrote:
mine is in the front driveside corner of the pan, opposite the dipstick tube.

Well if you have an auxil tranny fluid cooler, the temp will read 20-40+ degrees cooler in the pan. By reading the fluid in the pan, you will never get a good accurate reading on actual operating temperature of the fluid. The pan fluid is most likely to 'coolest' area to get the fluid temp from, maybe other than the return line after the trans cooler.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
better than no reading at all.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have also heard there is a temp reading port
built-into the stock transmission lines.....somewhere.........true/false?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts