Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, after all this time, and 4 separate times in the shop, the transmission finally died today. What is really amazing is the fact that I just got through with a 2200 mile round trip from here to Virginia and back, and it decided to die today, while I was petering around town. And boy did it die! Kicked the gas, came out of O/D into third, and there was a large bang, followed by an IMMENSE amount of blue smoke, looked like something out of a NASCAR race! You should have seen it, blue smoke just consumed the highway, and all the cars behind me were swerving and scurrying around like c**kroaches at a TERMINEX convention trying to get sight back. My wife was with me, and I had said something like "there it goes!". She didn't understand until she looked in the side mirror...IT WAS AWESOME! I managed to coast off a ramp and onto a side road, where my poor truck finally stopped after leaving a trail of blood (tranny fluid) from the highway to a sideroad. There she sat, bleeding out like a freshly slaughtered lamb. I had the truck towed to the nearest dealership, via flatbed. Ironically enough, the truck was going in next week anyway for the dealership to repair, and they were skeptical about it as well, stating that "there was nothing wrong with the tranny" last time they "repaired" it. I hope this is PROOF enough! LOL! I think that I am going to be sooo mad, that when I go in Monday, they will just all scream and faint. NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY. Last time, I was given the run around, and they had my truck for 45 days with NO work done to it...hooo boy, this is going to be FUN! It is actually quite comical, if you think about it...I might have to start a collection for my bail bond for when I go to jail for involuntary manslaughter! J/K, I will just have to try and keep my cool, but we shall see...Ohmmmmmm....yamma yamma yamma yaaaama...:wink: Stay tuned for more on this subject on the 6 o'clock news...

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Hey beast, I had the same thing happen to me about 3 months ago. I was doing a little four wheelin in a local mudhole and once i started to leave the carwash, that was all she wrote. The smoke was everywhere and the tranny left a trail of fluid half wasy down the highway. I called the dealer and they came and picked it up that afternoon and 6 days later i had a brand new tranny compliments of the dodge dealer and my extended warranty. But its all fixed now and im taking it easy on this one!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Haha give em hell Beast! OD was probably not your problem but it worries me.Even though it conserves gas i kinda shudder when I step on the gas and the tranny slams hard when it downshifts. gas mileage is all that OD is good for!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Been there done that. At least you knew that it was your tranny smoking. I was driving down the highway and a tranny cooler line popped off. There was smoke everywhere!!! I couldn't see anybody behind me, and I know there were lots of cars back there. I thought my truck was on fire, so I stopped very fast and bailed. About then the smoke slowed down and I realized it wasn't on fire. A tow truck pulled up and the first thing he said was "I can't tow it, it's too big." I asked if he had any tranny fluid, nope of course not. Why dosen't a tow truck carry tranny fluid? Luckly my friend came to my rescue and I drove home, smoking the whole way.

Go get them Beast!!!!! I'm after my local dealer too, they owe me money. I sent them two letters got nothing, sent a letter to Chrysler customer center. Waiting on a responce from that. Dealers suck, and thats my final answer!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Give 'em hell.. and if the service prick doesn't do what you want go to the GM. GM's tend to do whatever you ask (specially if its been in their shop for the same thing but they didn't catch it) to get you outta his face.

Good luck,

-Chris

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Details, okay here goes. I purchased the truck in April of 2000, in fact, driving it home on the 1st, April Fool's day. After my second wheeling trip, the shift indicator showed the incorrect postion in the cab. Easy fix, dealer said no problem, and done back to me in an hour. Second problem, I drive cross country towing my Saturn via tow bar, and a load of about 1000lbs total in the car and the back of the truck. With the A/C on, I notice a bit of slippage in O/D at cruising speeds, intermittent. Get to Alabama, settle in for a couple weeks, and take it in to the nearest Dodge Dealer, expecting the same good service I received in California. BOY WAS I WRONG! They treated me like crap, and blamed the whole thing on me. Said that there was mud in the tranny, which is impossible, since I just changed the fluid myself! They took it for a test spin, and hooked up the computer while driving, and sure enough, bad torque convertor. Took them almost 2 weeks to replace it, due to their slowness. Okay, 4 months go by, started wheelin with my club here, have a GREAT time, learn lots about 4 wheelin, the tranny loses reverse, 1st, 3rd, and O/D in about a week. Take it in, they blame the tranny failure on a stick that was stuck in the lower control arm. Oh, geez, gimme a break. Total rebuild was needed, 44 parts replaced, 5 page invoice typed up. 1 year later, transmission smells EXTREMELY hot, after a week of that, tranny temp light comes on. Cooler lines clogged. Clogged with what you say? Easy, Clutch Material. NOT GOOD. Starts shifting funny, never starts in 1st, have to put it neutral first to get pressure built up, almost no reverse, O/D gone. Take it in on Stock wheels and tires, but with lift on. Is okay, I figure I will get a few things fixed while it is in over Xmas. WRONG! They deny warranty, due to lift, said it caused the failure. They have my truck for 45 DAYS, before they even attempted to fix it. This is after a Chrysler engineer said to get it fixed. The replace transducer, and governor solenoid pressure unit, and flush tranny. I ask them about the clutch material, they said "ehh, it'll be alright" Hmmm...still something wrong after I get it back. Yesterday, explosion. Tomorrow, explosion again, this time from ME. My truck has 38,817 miles on the odometer. You tell me. I do all maintenance, I don't submerge the truck, and this crap happens. Can you figure why I would be a bit pissed off? $35,000 for a truck, and it doesn't even last 50k miles. Lawyers already contacted...sorry if a bit long...thanks for listening!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The service manager will understand Hell on Earth after I get through with them tomorrow...think about it, what if the tranny had LOCKED up instead of just slipping apart, I was on the highway, and my WIFE was in the truck with me! We could have been killed! The only way he is going to prevent anything from coming out of my mouth is to say "It's on order, will be here tomorrow, and we will have your truck back to you by Thursday at the latest". Otherwise, you may see me on a new episode of COPS...

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
503 Posts
Y0UR SCARING ME!! LOL IM PUTTING LIFT AND TIRES ON MY 1500 01 OFFROAD IT ONLY HAS 14,OOO MILES ON IT AND IM VOIDING 100,000 MILE WARRANTY!!! AHHHHHH!!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
There's a federal law that states that the manufacturer cannot legally void your warranty without proof that the modification was the actual cause of the malfunction. They try the scare tactics but when pushed I have never had them deny me coverage under my warranty. If they give you problems just make a call to your Chrysler Regional Manager. Worst case scenario.....court.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They tried to pull that "we won't cover it due to the lift" crap, but the suspension has nothing to do with the transmission. Tell them to prove it to ya. They will most likely fix it, just bring up my case to them. I will get mine fixed, either the hard way, or the easy way, it is up to them. I talked to them this morning, and I am getting the bad vibes like they are going to deny it...then I will have to go to court! It will be fun, seeing as how I will be awarded damages as well, I am thinking $50k-$100k in mental anguish should suffice, not to mention teaching a lesson to all the other dealerships. As long as you regear, or show up with stock tires and wheels, they can't argue with ya. Trust me. I have been doing the research, and I will win. It is all a case of shoddy workmanship, they didn't fix it right the first time, and now it is failed due to that point. There shouldn't be any arguement, they should just say "yes sir!" and get to work. But, we shall see...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Beast, if you take them to court take em for everything they got! It will be a victory for anyone thats been screwed by the dealership.

·
Registered
503 Posts
so if i do all this to my truck and the tranny goes i may be able to get covered! wow sounds nice ..... but still not convinced they would cover it.. but be sure i will try like hell! if i come to that bad point!im just hoping for no problems as with 8 inches of lift i dont think they will buy it that im running stock tires.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
So long as you regear appropriately for the size tire you're running, especially if the final ratio is steeper than stock, they can't blame it on the tires.

4.56s with 35s is steeper than 3.92s, close to 4.10s with teh stock 265 tires.

And Magnussen-Moss states that THEY have to prove what caused the failure.

Of course, the last time that Steven's Creek saw my truck was when they threatened to black-list me (void my warranty in the DC computer system, at ALL dealerships), due to "abuse".

I snapped an axle-shaft due to wheel-spin going up a steep, muddy hill, still stock tires.

They denied fixing a TSB'd tranmission linkage rattle under warranty because my lift had changed the shift linkage. Not so, I put it on. He (service manager) shrugged his shoulders and said that his tech claimed it wasn't a stock part, so he can't send the part back to DC and claim a failure under warranty... BS... I called him on it, showed him the TSB, and then he brings up that they didn't need to fix the axle under warranty, blah, blah, blah, and that they could black-list me. So I never went back. And even told their salesmen when I stopped by that even if I purchase from them in the future, I'll never have a vehicle in there for service again, until they replace the service manager.

I will go to Redwood City Dodge instead.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RARRRRRRR!!!!! Woody, I hate to hear about things like that, they CANNOT Black list you, there is NO such thing! ooooooooo, if it was me!!!!!!! I would destroy them!!!! Hey, can you send me the link to that Magnesson act? I am gathering ammo, and that is something that I need...Thanks Woody!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22238&criteria=Magnussen+Moss" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=8128&criteria=Magnussen+Moss" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=8124&criteria=Magnussen+Moss" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22237&criteria=Magnussen+Moss" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

Went to http://www.sema.org, then to the "Consumer" section, then searched for Magnussen Moss"

It's federal trade law, baby! Most service managers will pale, get quiet, and just run the paper-work through.

The one at steven's creek brought up the "abuse" clause, which they CAN use on you, if they want to. I was at 25K or so, and wanted that warranty to stick around a bit longer.

Steven's creek is fine for any non-modified vehicle, but forget warranty work there once modified.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Hy Beast, Sorry for what happens to your truck, I´m wondering, does the tranny shows any sign that it would blow?, I ask you this because I have a problem with my torque converter, the lock up´s conect and disconnect frequently when you are cruising, so I´m affraid :(: off what can happend to my tranny.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I am on my 2nd TCC and it still doesnt engage O/D all the well, I said the hell with it and drive with it off... I get better gas milage with it off... I am on 3.55 gears with 285 tires... so I dont know... maybe it will blow again, then I might have a case against DC and try to get myself a new truck that way instead of trying to sell it :wink:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hotchiliram, you have a bad Torque convertor, I had the same problem once. A new torque convertor fixed the problem. They are going to give me a decision tomorrow on to what they "think" they are going do with my truck. Spoke to my lawyer today, and he told me that if they didn't fix it, he said they would be "aggressively had sex with" (you figure it out) until the end of time stuck in court, and that Chrysler would be forced to attend Forced Arbitration or some crap like that, and they would not be happy. He told me that it would be in all their best interest to shut me up and replace the darn transmission and get me out of their hair. I agreed with him. All I ultimately want is my transmission to function like everyone else's on the road---normal. It makes me mad to see other Ram owners just driving around, like nothing is going on! And my poor baby sits on the lot, awaiting a new heart! Oh, I forgot to tell everyone, this is funny...I spoke to the Service Manager today, and he told me that are going to "put tranny fluid back in and see what happens". I told him quite simply, I said: "Why don't you save yourself some time, and just poor the nice expensive ATF+4 on the ground underneath the truck, because that is what is going to happen anyway!" He didn't seem to think that would happen. I just laughed at him. I PERSONALLY watched the tranny bleed out on the side of the road! The front seal is blown away! That is why the back of my motor is coated in fluid! Transmissions are under pressure, and when the seal went, it splashed EVERYWHERE! Kind of like explosive diarrhea, best way to describe it. But, we shall see! Keep in mind, eveyrone, that when I win this (and I will), that this is great ammunition for your tranny woes and getting stuff replaced (even outside of warranty, as long as there is a paperwork trail) and having highly modified trucks. So I am pioneering a first here in the South! LOL! Only at the expense of my poor truck... :(: A moment of silence in thought for my truck before her surgery...

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i know the dodges have problems eating trannys. for woody's one link, it sounds like the tranny could be listed under the pattern failure clause.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts