Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any other Toyota drivers out there? Seems like everyone on here drives a Dodge.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Toyota Love -

Most peple here do drive Rams since my site started 3 years ago as a Dodge Ram speciifc site. Although it is geared towards geenral off-road now, most people still associate the site with Dodge Rams.

People into other manufactirers are slowing makeing their way here. It just takes time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is nothing wrong with driving a dodge. You sure do see plenty of them on the road nowadays.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have to admit, I sold a Toyota and bought a Dodge! I had a 1994 Toyota 4x4 w/a Downey "Desert Runner" kit. It had Dual Bilsteins up front and 3" springs in the back, and a Mega Travel Kit as well. Torque the bars up front for the 2" lift and away I went - BALLS tothe wall and not a care in the world. I tipped it twice, and there wasn't 2" on that truck that didn't have a dent or wrinkle. Then I went and got married and bought a 1997 Dodge! Hmmmm - single life sure was fun! LOL

LUV24BY

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 94 Toyota Reg. Cab Pickup, I love it. It is my First auto and I wanted an off-road capable machine that was reliable for a daily driver. I first wanted a Jeep Wrangler, but my sister has a YJ Wrangler and something is always tearing up on it since she has been taking it off-road. I have not had one problem out of my Toyota yet and it has 135K miles on it with 4in. Suspension Lift, and 3in. Body lift running 35in mudders. It is a 4 cyl. right now but it has plenty of power with a Tri-Y Header, Jet-Chip, and flowmaster exhaust with a K&N filter. I plan to drop a Chevy 350 into it next year then maybe a Solid axle and redo the drivetrain. So I can truly say that I love Toyotas even if they are foreign.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have seen the 350 in Yota's before, even a Corvette 350. If I still had mine I wouldn't go with the 350, I would choose a 4.3 liter V-6 out of a S10 PU or Blazer (mid to late '90's with the VORTEC intake.) They aren't as heavy, can produe as much power and uses less gas. I know a buddy of a buddy that has a built 4.3 V-6 that will put out 400+ horsepower. That's a good HP if you as me! (it's in a 4Runner) The thing about the 4.3 is that it has the same bore and stroke of a 350, just minus 2 cylinders. Just some food for thought!
Let me know what you think!
LUV24BY

5.5" Fab-Tech Performance Lift w/ 4.5" rear leaf springs & Dual Shocks up front
35x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's on Centerline 15x10's

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the flows sound on your 4 cyl.? i have a 2001 tacoma and have been pondering on rather or not to put a flowmaster on it. I have decent tire noise, but want the exhaust sound aswell. Im worried tho that it will sound like a honda with a shyt pipe. And $175 is to much to throw away on something that sounds like a pissed off bumble bee.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know what you mean. I hate the Bumblebee sound. Mine sounded like a V6 when I got the flows put on, it made it beefier. Then when I got the header put on and took the cat off it sounds like a V8 but not as beefy. It sounds nowhere near one of those hondas.

[edit: just testing edit functionality, Jason]
Britt, '94 Toyota 4x4 P.U. Tuff Country 4" Susp. Lift, 3" Body, 35x12.50 Pro Comp Muds on 15x10 Chrome ARs.Chrome Protection, Header, and flowmaster exhaust. Hella 500 Fogs, 550 Driving Lights. Can't forget the sound system.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a 98 and a 2000 Tacoma. I loved them, just needed more room, so I went with a Dodge. I miss my Tacoma, but the Dodge is gettin there as far as mods wise.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats some good flowmaster info,
Im getting my toy next year and i can't wait...i wanted to get pipes for it, but my friends got a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab and it sounds just like a pissed-off bumble bee rice burner...(Thats exectly how i feel too, LoL) That drove me away from it...but i found out he went cheap an got the Twister pipes, its not true dual either, its one muffler with 2 pipes welded on it...so i wandered how true dual flowmasters would sound...
Thanks Guys
P.S. Power To The Yotas!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you get a second, take a look t this web site. http://www.tacomaterritory.com
They are a great group of people. Anything you want to know, they can tell you. I used to be a member till i got a Dodge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, another happy Toyota owner piping in. Although, relatively new to the Toyota crowd, my 2001 4Runner is much quieter, more powerful, and a smoother ride than the Amigo that I was driving for 11 years. While I miss the Amigo, I am happy with the new truck. I look forward to trying it on the trails.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey MIB, Welcome to the crowd. There isn't that many Toyota owners here, All these Dodge guys don't like the IFS on Toyotas. It doesn't bother me that much since I am not looking to do any Rockcrawling but sometimes I wish I had a solid axle up front just to Flex and show off. What are you looking to do to your 4Runner?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
When i look at the readers rides, the only toyota i see in there is mine. Why dont you guys put your rides in there? my toy is lonely :(:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will have to find the pictures of my new truck, a 97 Tacoma which is still stock, but here is pictures of my old truck a 80 pickup and some of my friends trucks at Frank Raines. (mine was the white one.) as soon as i can find the pics i will post them.
http://tms68427.netfirms.com/frank_raines.htm

·
Registered
100 Posts
anyone looking to buy an older toyota? my buddy is selling his,here is the list of mods: 14inch lift,40x18 gumbo mudders,15x10 rims,dick cepek light bar with 6 cepek lights on the bar prerunner bar up front with 4 lights(same brand)flowmaster exhaust,step bars,custom ladder bars,bucket seats,4speed tranny,forgot to mention that it is a 1980 4 cyl. 4x4 the front drive shaft is not hooked up but never have needed it so far,good thing is i dont think it will flip we have tried it(taking a paved road turn at 35 miles an hour all it does is bounce arond a little(scarry as hell).all he is asking for it is $1500 obo.he bought another toy so this one just sits in his shop all covered up. let me know if anyone is interested and i will e-mail you a picture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all.
I have a stock 98 tacoma. I went on the most recent Frank Raines trip with Rob Burns. Had a blast. I think the first few things I am going to get are an exhaust system, some step bars and maybe a K&N air filter. everyone says the first thing to get is a lift and tires but i can't swing that right now. Any suggestions on a good lift?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts