Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!! I'm thinking about building a mud truck and wanted to build up a older Toyota, I want to put a 350 in it and 39" to 44" tires. I need help on what axles to use.and if I use a full size chevy axle will I have to use Chevy leaf springs? what's a good transmisson for mud boggin.I wanted to use a Toyota from 1980 to 1985. would 2 1/2 ton axles and T-case fit? because I found some for $600

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If you are going to be dropping in a 350 and running 44's, I would jump on those Rockwells. $600 for ONE of those is a good deal. As long as they are in good shape.

For a mud only truck, go full width with Dana 60 front and a 14 bolt rear with those big meats at the minimum. Rockwells are cool....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah if its a mud truck you dont need to worry about the tires sticking out so much cause of the full width axles:) You should be able to find those 2 1/2 ton axles pretty cheap.

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey guys new to the site.as far as a 350 in a 79-85 not a big deal.i fabricate the mounts for the engine and also the trans.the best trans ive found is the th350 as it is small enough to fit the trans tunnel and short enough that you can still get a decent lengh shaft in the back.

i use a chevy 205 gear drive and build custom shafts.if your going huge on tires and lift than the front axle will be your weakest point as the birfields will not be up to the task.

you can change the front and use a landcruiser front but it sounds like a good deal on the frog axles(2 1/2tons)

you can also change the rear to a landcruiser center section to raise the oinion in the carrier but like i said no sense.

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey bigtoy i have a huge ass lift and v8 conversion mounts for 79-85 straight axle toyotas.

if i cant find a runner here soon it WILL be for sale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts